Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

How long for Work permit?

Toggle
How long for Work permit?
Answer
9/12/06 7:06 PM
I am on dependant visa for the past 9 months in Germany. My visa said that I have permission to work only if allowed by state authroties. I recently got a job offer(software developer) and applied for a work permit(submitted a form filled by me and my company and my work contract at the local Auslaenderbehoerde). The documents were dispatched to Arbeitsamt and I was told i should get my visa in 2-3 weeks. I am wondering how long does this process normally take? Can i rest assured that it will arrive on time because I have to join the new job very soon and if the visa gets delayed, i am not sure what will be done. Basically..can i lose the job offer if there is a delay in Visa?
0 (0 Votes)

Re: How long for Work permit?
Answer
9/12/06 7:31 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
@meinfrage

....can i lose the job offer if there is a delay in Visa?

Every employer in Germany is aware that the bureaucratic formalities here take their own sweet time. They are used to slow turtle-paced bureaucrats. There is no reason to be worried about that.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/12/06 8:23 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Thanks! that's a relief to hear. Any idea what can cause delays in such cases?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/13/06 12:01 AM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
The verification process by Arbeitsamt (e.g. if the job position can be filled by any other German/EU citizen) may take 2 - 8 weeks.

A German company knows about the VERY BUSY beamter. So if there is any unexpected delay, there should not be any problem from company. When a company recruits you, they have already invested some efforts to find the right person. So it's also their head ache to help you getting all permissions.

Don't worry! Be happy as you've got the job!

regards,

MK
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/13/06 12:07 AM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
meinfrage wrote:
The documents were dispatched to Arbeitsamt and I was told i should get my visa in 2-3 weeks. I am wondering how long does this process normally take?

Why are you asking the question, for which you already got an answer from the Employment Office (Arbeitsamt)? Any other place can take longer or shorter. Trust what they say.

Can i rest assured that it will arrive on time because I have to join the new job very soon and if the visa gets delayed, i am not sure what will be done. Basically..can i lose the job offer if there is a delay in Visa?

Of course it can be delayed. But it is not important, because the company must have considered that case. Call the company and tell them that your start date is totally dependent upon when your work permit is ready. Do that only once; frequent calls might produce bad reputation. I experienced similar thing. I called the company once, but it was enough to speed up the procedure (they talked to the Arbeisamt etc.).

The company always has the right to cancel your application. It is technically possible. But I have never heard such a thing. In practice Germans are very faithful people. Be patient!

Thanks! that's a relief to hear. Any idea what can cause delays in such cases?

We cannot know what the officials do, and how busy they are. Just inform your new company, and just once, that your start date will totally dependent upon the work permit. They will do corresponding things, don't worry!

I wish you would get the job. Be patient!

Klenze17.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/15/06 6:00 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Problem:
I got a feedback from Arbeitsamt today. They have denied me the work permit right now saying this job role is very common(Software application developer) and anyone else can do this job. I told the ppl at Auslaenderbehoerde that the company went through a long and tough selection process where Germans and others also appeared. The job was well advertised and after the enitre process, they selected me..so i must be the best suited for the job. The lady there naturally said that it was Arbeitsamt's decision and not her's.
I have taken a contact no. at Arbeitsamt where my company can talk to them. What can be done in this case to solve the problem?
Arbeitsamt has told me to wait for 3 months after which i would have completed 1 year in germany and based on my husband's visa, i will also get a work permit to work anywhere in Germany. But that would mean I may lose this very good offer now. Has anyone dealt with this problem?? What is the best solution??? Please help..i am really upset.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/15/06 6:13 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
@meinfrage

This a fine example of german burocracy at its best. They know that after 3 months you can even work at McDonalds, but today they would not let you work as Software Developer. Instead of applying some common sense they prefer to go by the book. There is nothing more you can do but to ask your employer to either help you in this matter or wait until you get your new visa.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/16/06 12:14 AM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
meinfrage wrote:
They have denied me the work permit right now saying this job role is very common(Software application developer) and anyone else can do this job.

From your posting I have understood that you have applied for the work permit, not the company. Anyway, it's too late now.

The excuse/reason why they denied is, labour market check (AMC, Arbeitsmarktcheck/prüfung). They search the unemployed people registered by them, who are German or EU citizen. If there are jobless German or EU citizen people, they can deny your application, no matter if the company accepted you.

Tell the company, whether they can apply for your work permit, not you. In any case, it will take at least a few weeks, because of bureaucracy.

Next time when you find a job, always ask the company to deal with your work permit issues. Don't do by yourself again, I would say...

Or wait for 1 year...

Klenze17.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/18/06 12:29 AM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
@meinfrage.

If you dont mind,Could you provide some additional info over ur contract. Duration of contract and Brutto Salary?. Does it play any role ? And where did you applied?

Recently I got a job as Consultant and my company is applying for my work permit this week. Thats why I am just curious to know about this case.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/28/06 2:17 AM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
After my company's disucssions with Arbeitsamt, they have approved my case and today I got my work permit at the local Auslaenderbehoerde. Finally!
Just out of curiosity: My original Aufenthaltserlaubnis(dependant visa/stay permit) was valid upto 02-02-2007.The Arbeitsamt who approved my case has mentioned in their document that i should get a work permit upto September 2007(1 year from now). So there is an overlapping period from Sept 2006 to Feb 2007. However, the lady at Auslaenderbehoerde extended my current Aufenthaltserlaubnis by changing the status of "cannot work without permission of state authorities" to "allowed to work at the company XYZ from 27.09.2006 till 02-02-2007" and told me to come in january to get it extended till September 2007. She also gave me some documents which me and my husband should fill and submit in Jan.
I want to know if there is any difference between a normal independent work permit and what i have got now? Are there any benefits/disadvantages of this except for the fact that I have made no payment at the moment to get the visa?
Any idea that when I go for extension in January,why should my spouse be filling the form with me(considering that now its a WP and not dependant visa)??
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/29/06 6:12 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
I guess we can close this topic. I clarified with Auslaenderbehoerde again today. They have done the above change so that after January, when I extend my visa, i will be eligible to look for any job in Germany and my WP is not just bound to current employer.

All's well that ends well. Thanks everyone.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/29/06 6:15 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
@Prabhat
Sorry for missing out on replying earlier. My contract is not limited. The brutto is 43K an annum but i don't think any of this played any role in my WP. I applied at the AB in the city where i stay currently from where it went for approval to the city where my employer is.(My visa explicitly stated that i need permission of the current state authority to work).

I guess things would be easier for you since your employer has applied for ur WP.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/07 8:18 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
I am on dependent visa for more than 2 years. My husband is having student status doing PhD. With the dependent status I studied and now I got job and applied for work permit 3 weeks before. I still didnt get any reply from Auslaenderbehoerde. As you have lot of experience with that can you help me how I should make things faster as I already running out of time. I have to join the job very soon. Also give some suggestions of what to do and not. I have informed the company about this. Does it depends on the place where you apply?
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott