Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Deregistered wife in June 2017, Tax class change from 3 to 1.

Toggle
Hello Everyone,
I have a question regarding the tax class.

I'm working in Frankfurt since July 2014. As my project is ending this year, my wife moved to India in Mid-June 2016.

Since Beginning my tax class is "3". But my tax advisor suggested me to get it changed to “1” since my family is moved to India. I visited “finanzamt Frankfurt” in June 2017 and asked them to change the Tax class to “1”. The guy told me that, there is no such FORM to be filled and since I had done the De-registration at Foreign office for my wife and daughter, the tax class will be changed automatically.

Somehow, the change was not reflected in my Salary Slip for the month of July, therefore I visited the finanzamt once again, and narrated the whole story. This time that I deregistered in June 2017, so my Tax class will remain Tax class 3 till end of 2017. From Jan 2018, it will change to Tax class 1.

My concern is: even though I am getting the benefit of low tax amount compared to tax class “1”, I don’t want any surprises later.

Please advice.

Regards,
Santosh
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Deregistered wife in June 2017, Tax class change from 3 to 1.
Answer
7/27/17 3:15 PM as a reply to Santosh.
Santosh:
Hello Everyone,
I have a question regarding the tax class.

I'm working in Frankfurt since July 2014. As my project is ending this year, my wife moved to India in Mid-June 2016.

Since Beginning my tax class is "3". But my tax advisor suggested me to get it changed to “1” since my family is moved to India. I visited “finanzamt Frankfurt” in June 2017 and asked them to change the Tax class to “1”. The guy told me that, there is no such FORM to be filled and since I had done the De-registration at Foreign office for my wife and daughter, the tax class will be changed automatically.

Somehow, the change was not reflected in my Salary Slip for the month of July, therefore I visited the finanzamt once again, and narrated the whole story. This time that I deregistered in June 2017, so my Tax class will remain Tax class 3 till end of 2017. From Jan 2018, it will change to Tax class 1.

My concern is: even though I am getting the benefit of low tax amount compared to tax class “1”, I don’t want any surprises later.

Please advice.

Regards,
Santosh
The Tax class will change to 1 in January 2018, but you need to return the additional amount received by you under Tax Class-3 from July 2017 till December 2017.

Best regards,

Raj++

P.S: this is not a legal advice!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/27/17 3:46 PM as a reply to R V.
Hello Raj,
Thank you for the reply.
I called Finanzamt and told them the whole case (was difficult thought to expalin them with my present level of German, but able to convey main thing.)

As I deregistered before the expiry of her Visa( Bluecard dependant can stay outside Germany for max 1 year). Finanazamt person told me that the Tax class will be changed to "1" as mentioned by you. But they also todl that I do not need to pay back any money for July to December, 2017, The same information I got from Brügeramt, where I did the deregistration.

Please let me know your view on this.

Regards,
Santosh
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/28/17 1:28 PM as a reply to Santosh.
Santosh:
Hello Raj,
Thank you for the reply.
I called Finanzamt and told them the whole case (was difficult thought to expalin them with my present level of German, but able to convey main thing.)

As I deregistered before the expiry of her Visa( Bluecard dependant can stay outside Germany for max 1 year). Finanazamt person told me that the Tax class will be changed to "1" as mentioned by you. But they also todl that I do not need to pay back any money for July to December, 2017, The same information I got from Brügeramt, where I did the deregistration.

Please let me know your view on this.

Regards,
Santosh
Hi Santosh,

I can only recommend to have everything in writing. In your case the Finanzamt might not write a letter for you, but you can still put your words on paper and bring two copies of it to Finanzamt and request them to stamp one for your reference. Dont worry about German skills, just write it in english and ask some of your friend or colleague, they might translate it for you.

Good luck!

Raj++

P.S: this is not a legal advice!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/25/19 5:42 PM as a reply to Santosh.
Hello Santosh,
I am also in almost same situation regarding tax return.
Could you please let me know what happened when you apply for tax return?
Did you pay it back or it is not required?
Also please let me know if I have to get an written confirmation from Bürgerburo.
Thank you.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18