Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Family Reunion Vs Student Visa

Toggle
Family Reunion Vs Student Visa
Answer
7/1/15 10:40 AM
Hi all,

I am from Pakistan and I am married. I have an offer from a PhD program in Frankfurt. Since I am married, I would like my wife to accompany me to Germany or join me there. So I am considering different options: 

1. Family Reunion Visa
I have read in this forum that it can be tricky to get a family reunion visa if one is on a student visa. My biggest concern here is about showing adequate funds to support my wife. Although I will be receiving a stipend but it will vary from semester to semester. On average I will be getting 1150 euros per month. So I am not sure whether this amount is sufficient. 

2. Student Visa
My wife recently got an offer from a master's program. The program matches her interests and background in medicine and health sciences. So we are thinking that maybe she should apply for a student visa right now with me. Here we are concerned that our student visas might be refused since both husband and wife are applying to travel to Germany and that weakens our ties with Pakistan. 

We are not clear on what to do in this situation. Any help would be great! Thank you.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Family Reunion Vs Student Visa
Answer
7/1/15 11:54 AM as a reply to Hamza Zahid.
PhD has some respect and should not create any problems in getting family reunion visa (provided all docs are authenticated). With student visa, forget about getting without any hassles. Even if you get, at the time of registration here in Germany, you have to cover up lot of stories. Be transparent and lead peaceful life legally rather than gimmicks or back door ways. Moreover, she is welcome to study afterwards without any extra permits or so. All the very best anyway.
-1 (1 Vote)

Answer
7/1/15 12:23 PM as a reply to hprj.
Thanks for your reply hprj.

I asked the same question here at the Islamabad embassy and they replied that my wife should apply for a student visa if she wants to continue her studies. I also consulted an immigration lawyer and his reply was that we should apply together for student visas "claiming before the visa officer that you both have individual intentions of continuing studies and both can separately afford to do so." We will be completely transparent when applying for student visas---we will declare our marital status truthfully. 

The embassy and the lawyer can be wrong. I have heard cases where incorrect information was given so I am open to your advice. Could you please elaborate regarding why student visa will involve more hassles and what stories would I have to cover up?

Thank you again for your help.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/15 12:54 PM as a reply to Hamza Zahid.
With an average of 1150 euros for both people it may be hard to convince for a reunion visa. Even then it will take a long time to get since you have to prove everything with proper documents.

I agree with the lawyer and the embassy. If you are both students and have scholarships or can prove that you'll have enough money to support yourself when you are in Germany (very important), I don't think it is a disadvantage to be married. And as far as I understand you are both going to programs closely related with your study so that's also good. I would apply for student visas if I were you, and it is good to be open and honest about everything, because you have nothing to hide and not trying to take advantage of anything.

I wish you good luck, and feel free to update us with your proceedings.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/1/15 3:37 PM as a reply to Arnhem.
Hi arnhem, thank you for your reply. The student visa application seems logical but I really want to be sure before applying. Perhaps someone with a similar experience can advise? Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/3/15 4:14 PM as a reply to Hamza Zahid.
powwow:
Hi all,

I am from Pakistan and I am married. I have an offer from a PhD program in Frankfurt. Since I am married, I would like my wife to accompany me to Germany or join me there. So I am considering different options: 

1. Family Reunion Visa
I have read in this forum that it can be tricky to get a family reunion visa if one is on a student visa. My biggest concern here is about showing adequate funds to support my wife. Although I will be receiving a stipend but it will vary from semester to semester. On average I will be getting 1150 euros per month. So I am not sure whether this amount is sufficient. 

2. Student Visa
My wife recently got an offer from a master's program. The program matches her interests and background in medicine and health sciences. So we are thinking that maybe she should apply for a student visa right now with me. Here we are concerned that our student visas might be refused since both husband and wife are applying to travel to Germany and that weakens our ties with Pakistan. 

We are not clear on what to do in this situation. Any help would be great! Thank you.

Hi,

Case 1: You apply for your Student Visa and your wife as dependent
You need to convince the Visa officer that you have enough resources for atleast one year, for example
2 people x 800 euros = 1,600 x 12 months = 19,200 euros for the first year.

Considering you will be earning 1,150. euros per month, you still need to arrange the difference i.e.
450 x12 = 5,400.euros. If you can block this amount in a Bank account than depending on the visa officer you might get a positive reply from the embassy.

Case 2: Both of you apply independently for Student Visas
For your case its no issue. But for your wife's case you need to show enough resources for atleast one year and since its an independent application, in this case;
800 x 12 = 9,600. euros for one year.
If you can block this amount in a Bank account than surely your wife might get a positive reply from the embassy as well, again it depends on how visa officer reads your move to Germany. 

Suggestion:
First you should apply for your visa, come to Germany and start your PhD immediately. Wait till next semester and than ask your wife to apply for her student visa. In this way you will be able to prove that you have an apartment and you have regular earning. It is a painful wait, but chances of success are much higher.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards,

Raj++

P.S: this is not a legal advice!
-1 (1 Vote)

Answer
7/3/15 7:12 PM as a reply to R V.
Hi raj,

Thank you for your very clear advice, I really appreciate it. We are planning to block the required amount for her as well if she applies for a student visa. I am also looking for a good immigration lawyer in Germany. I will keep you guys posted. thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott