Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

multiple entry on employment visa

Toggle
multiple entry on employment visa
Answer
7/22/13 7:28 AM
Hello folks,

This is my first post to this forum, so please bear with me if I am not following any rules.

I believe I have a unique situation about employment visa for which I couldn't find any conclusive information (on this forum as well as on Internet). Hence I am posting this thread to get an opinion of varied folks here. I request forum moderator to close this thread if they find it repeated, but before that please point me to the original thread.

Having said that, here is my current situation: I have a permanent job offer from an employer in Berlin. I have applied for employment visa at Mumbai consulate last week. The officer told me to expect about a month for stamping visa on my passport. From salary point of view, I am eligible for Blue card (FYI).

As I understand, this visa will be valid for 90 days only. Within these 90 days, I need to do the following:
register at the alien office in Berlin and
apply for residence permit (so that I am allowed to stay beyond 90 days).

With this background, my queries are:
1. Will it possible for me to visit India for a short period of 1 week during this time (i.e. on status applied for residence permit) and come back to Berlin?
2. If no, what are the other options that I have to visit India and return to Berlin?
3. Generally how much time it will take for me to get the residence permit? Will it be possible for me to travel to India after getting residence permit?

Awating for your valuable comments. Thanks in advance for your time.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: multiple entry on employment visa
Answer
7/22/13 10:13 AM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi,

You are not allowed to travel within/outside of EU with your 90 days visa if have registered and applied for RP.

These days getting RP card is little quick (2 to 3 weeks). But getting an appointment with visa officer may take more time! If you get new RP card before your travel date then there would not be any travel restrictions.

However you can ask for temporary residence permit for another 90 days by paying 20 € extra. This is again if he/she is convinced with your explanation and need.

So lets hope for the best.

Good luck.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/22/13 10:48 AM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi Nox,

Assuming things have not changed much (with the embassy in Mumbai) since last one year, I hope you will be in a comfortable situation.

Once you apply for the employment visa at the Mumbai consulate you will get the same in 3-4 weeks. Now the moment you will collect the visa, please ask the officer to give you the contact id for ABH in Berlin. Please put an e-mail reg your visa and travelling schedule to ABH and ask for an appointment. I hope you will get it quickly.

1) The permit that will be issued from India will be of arnd 6 month validity with multiple entry permit. So travelling to India and coming back to Germany will not be a problem within that span.

3) Once you apply for your residence permit at ABH,Berlin, it will take you arnd 3-4 weeks to have your electronic Aufanthalstitel (the residence/work permit). Thenafter whenever you travel please carry the card and the passport with you and it will not be a problem.

All the above mentioned points are based on my personal experiences only. If you are looking for legal perspective please get in toucxh with a lawyer.

Regards,
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/23/13 3:11 PM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi,

Thanks guys for the reply. I am writing down below my understanding of your posts.

0. Assume I get visa stamped by end of August which will be multiple entry. This will mean it will be valid till either end of Nov 2013 (for 3 months/90 days) OR Feb 2014 (for 6 months/180 days). I need to apply for residence permit before it expires. Once I apply for residence permit, I cannot move out of EU region till I get it.

So I believe I have following options:

OPTION 1 -
1. Travel to Berlin
2. Find apartment ASAP and register it (Einwohnermeldeamt) - this could take anytime between (1-4 weeks) based upon apartment search time
3. Do not apply for residence permit and travel to India (since initial visa is multiple entry)

4. Return to Berlin and immediately apply for residence permit
OPTION 2 -
1. Travel to Berlin
2. Find apartment ASAP and register it (Einwohnermeldeamt) - this could take anytime between (1-4 weeks) based upon apartment search time
3. Immediately apply for residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) - this will start after apartment is registered (mid-Oct worst case) and will take (3-4 weeks)

Option 2 could be risky if there are delays in above times which could be beyond my planned travel date to India.

Also as I understand, residence permit could be Blue card if you are eligible for it, right?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/24/13 2:06 PM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi Nox,

I was quite busy so couldn't reply earlier. Anyways, I learned from my mistakes and based on my adventures in Deutschland if I may suggest you the following :

1) Why can't you ask your employer to provide initial accomodation atleast for three months ? Apartment hunting is not that easy in Germany.

2) I will suggest fix an appointment with ABH once u arrive.Talk to ABH in Berlin. The ABH guys listen and they eventually resolve the problems. So I believe they will suggest you something good.

3) I hope you have already signed your employment contract but then too, go thru the below mentioned link u will get some valid info.

http://www.trust7.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/749669

And yes, If mumbai embassy is issuing you Blue card that will be awesome (as it comes with a validity of four years). I suppose that will serve as residence cum work permit.

Regards
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/13 2:04 PM as a reply to saikat sanyal.
hope2shine:
Hi Nox,

I was quite busy so couldn't reply earlier. Anyways, I learned from my mistakes and based on my adventures in Deutschland if I may suggest you the following :

1) Why can't you ask your employer to provide initial accomodation atleast for three months ? Apartment hunting is not that easy in Germany.

2) I will suggest fix an appointment with ABH once u arrive.Talk to ABH in Berlin. The ABH guys listen and they eventually resolve the problems. So I believe they will suggest you something good.

3) I hope you have already signed your employment contract but then too, go thru the below mentioned link u will get some valid info.

http://www.trust7.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/749669

And yes, If mumbai embassy is issuing you Blue card that will be awesome (as it comes with a validity of four years). I suppose that will serve as residence cum work permit.

Regards

Hi,

First of all thanks for taking time to reply on this thread. It is very helpful and encouraging to see responses on visa issues.

For your comments above, my reply is as follows:

1. The company is going to provide me with 1 time amount to cover the relocation cost. They told me that they do not provide accomodation since different folks like different accomodation (Hotel stay or WB or short term rental etc). Hence they came up with 1 time relocation scheme in terms of cash.

2. Sure I am going to talk to ABH guys as soon as get to Berlin. Also, I am going to ask for their contact details to Mumbai consulate when I go to collect the stamped visa (as per your previous suggestion).

3. Yes I have signed the employment contract. It was in German. But fortunately, my cousin (who is in Germany for many years now) was in India when the contract was send to me. He helped me to scrutiny it and provided with pitfalls which I later clarified with the company HR. They were not very grave issues and contract was pretty standard one as per my cousin's review.

Could you please help to confirm the following: Do I need to apply for Blue card while I am in India to Mumbai consulate? I was under the impression that, I need to do it while I am in Germany since Blue card is special residence permit (if you satisfy its pre-requisites). If it is possible to apply for Blue card from Mumbai, please point me to the process. I couldn't find info about this on the Mumbai consulate web-site.

Thanks in advance for your time.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/13 4:01 PM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi Nox,

In either case you will be given 90 days visa. In case you specify work permit in your application that would not create any problem here. Where as one can directly specifiy type of visa as blue card on the application in case you worry a lot.

Blue card will be issued after your arrival here also after your visa officer checks your eligibility and all. 

So both options will work. Good luck man.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/30/13 4:26 PM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi Guys,

I am updating this thread with latest information I am able to gather:

1. First of all, today morning, I received an e-mail from Mumbai consulate that my work permit visa is approved. Yay. They have asked me to submit my passport for stamping and my tentative date of travel. Today is 15th day after my application date, so for me the approval came within 2 weeks. This is speed of light according to me. Frankly I was not ready to travel to Berlin this early. So now I need to expedite my travel process and complete pending work here.

2. I had send them queries about the duration and multiple entry status of this inital work visa. They told me that this visa is called "national visa". It will be granted for "90 days" to start with. It will be "multiple entry" visa. However, they recommended me to register myself to alien office ASAP.

3. My cousin in Germany confirmed from Munich office that I can travel out of Germany/EU and enter again even after applying the residence permit (blue card if applicable), if the inital visa is multiple entry.

4. I have send them another query: What is the start date of this "national visa" which is "multiple entry" and valid for "90 days"? I have not recieved update on this point from them as of today.

Can anyone of you please let me know what was your initial visa start date after it was approved? Once I know this point, I would be able to plan my visit to India in Nov 1st week (along with, when to apply for residence permit).

Thanks in advance for your time. Looking forward to get some replies on this post :-).
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/31/13 10:08 AM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hi Nox,

Congrats.. I suppose, processing of WPs are always fast..Anyways welcome to Germany.

The info reg 90 days is new to me coz till date I suppose the validity use to be of six months.Well reg ur query... just inform them about your date of travel and they usually punch it 7-8 days prior to date of departure.

say for example if your travel date is 01-sept-13 . They may give you a valid visa from 20- Aug-13 to 19-Feb-14 (if they are still issuing it for first six months) or else for 90 days ( calculate.. emoticon )

Have fun.

Regards,
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/16/13 12:23 PM as a reply to Mayuresh Kulkarni.
Hey guys,

I am in Germany now and have also applied for Blue card. Meanwhile I also had been to India. So, I am writing down my experiences for the benefit of other folks. Please bear with me if the post becomes a little long.

1. I came to Berlin and checked-in to a Hotel. Immediately I asked the hotel if it is OK that I register at burgeramt with hotel address (my company HR asked me to do so). The hotel was OK with it. They gave me the final bill which showed that indeed I am staying in hotel which I took to the burgeramt as a proof of stay in Berlin.

2. Next I went to the burgeramt close to my hotel's area. From the information section, I got the registration form but since I did not have rental agreement, the lady asked me to get a sign and stamp of hotel on the registration form. However, she gave me an appointment which was 2 days later.

3. I got the sign and stamp from Hotel on the registration form. 2 days later I went again to burgeramt at the appointment time and got registered with hotel address. They gave me a paper which had their stamp and address where I registered.
NOTE: Be ready to wait in a long queue at burgeramt. Also, be ready to visit it at-least couple of times.

4. Then I went to various banks to open an account so that company could credit relocation expenses as well as salary. Postbank, Sparkasse, Berliner Volksbank told me that they cannot open a bank account in my name since my initial visa is only for 90 days. They suggested to get the visa extended and then come back. Only commerz bank was ready to open an account in my name. So, I had no choice but to open an Girokonto with them. They asked for the registration paper from burgeramt. They were also kind enough to have my company address as my primary address (which was different from my registration address).

5. I then passed on my account number to company for salary and relocation bonus credit purpose.

6. Meanwhile company had given my details to insurance company called TKK (Techniker Krankenkasse). They immediately started off with my registration with them for health insurance (which is mandatory in Germany). TKK send me the insurance number via post in about 2 weeks of time.

7. Simulataneously, I had started to find apartment to live. It looked difficult to rent an apartment from immobilienscout as many landlords asked for Schufa and commission. So, I contacted homecompany berlin and crocodilian berlin which provide: furnished apartments (with commission) and speak english. After checking out couple of flats with them, I finalized a studio apartment. They immediately send me the contract (in German) as well as translated version of it. On the day of apartment handover, I signed a formal agreement with apartment owner (who speaks good english fortunately).

8. On getting the contract done (initially for 3 months), I again went to burgeramt to change my registration address according to contract. This time there was no need to fill the registration form but I had to stand in big queue.

9. I then added my name to house entrance bell as well as post box.
NOTE: Always ask your landlord which is the bell button and post box of your house.

10. Now I had following documents: registered apartment in Berlin, Health insurance, job in Berlin, Valid work contract in Berlin, salary slip(s). With these documents, I filled the forms needed for blue card and went to ABH.

11. On first visit, I was told that I do not have Arbeitsverhältnis. So the officer send me back and asked me come 2 weeks later with Arbeitsverhältnis.

12. 2 weeks later I again went to ABH with Arbeitsverhältnis. Stood in the queue and got an apointment for blue card. About 1 hour latter my number was called and I submitted the documents. The officer gave me a paper which mentioned that my application is accepted and gave another appointment to collect the blue card in person. This is about 5 weeks later.
NOTE: It is not necessary to have a prior appointment at ABH for blue card application. You can directly walk into the office and ask for appointment. There are 2 queues according to your last name. If you have all the papers ready and OK, you will get the appointment immediately. If ABH gave you an appointment for today then they will ensure that your work is done before day end today. In such case, be ready to wait for long time (3-4 hours max). If you have prior appointment, waiting time reduces to about 1-1.5 hours. So, its your decision which way to follow.

13. Since my intial visa to enter Germany was multiple entry, I travelled to India and back even after applying for blue card. So, application of blue card and travel out of Germany are no at all related. If your initial visa allows you to travel outside Germany, you can do so irrespective of your blue card application status. While I was in India, I gave a copy of all the papers I got in Germany to my wife so that she can apply for family reunion visa (copy of confirmation of blue card, original and copy of work contract, copy of job description, copy of health insurance card, copy of registration at burgeramt, copy of rental contract etc).

Feel free to PM me in case someone needs any specific information. I believe this thread is ready for closure now since the original query is now answered. Till the next reply or new thread, auf wiedersehen.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott