Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

Citizenship for child

Toggle
Citizenship for child
Answer
11/8/05 10:55 AM
Hello
I am Greencardler working here for last 4.5 years. My son was born here and he is now 4 years old. Is it possible to take the German citizenship for him?
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Citizenship for child
Answer
11/8/05 11:08 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
yes but not now. first you have to get NE.
than after some time he can get CS
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/8/05 11:10 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
I am not some expert on the topic but I think it is not possible yet.

If you were living in Germany for 8 years (legally) and you have Niederlassungserlaubnis then your child gets german citizenship automatically at birth.

This is not the case, so best option for you would be to wait until you are 8 years in germany, and then your complete famlily asks for the german citizenship. Due to "Miteinbürgerung" your child will get german citizenship together with you.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/8/05 11:26 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
But I heard that a child born here has the right to take citizenship? Is it not right?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/8/05 11:36 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
In my opinion, in Your context ,what you heard is not right !!

But certainly the child born here does get the citizenship provided the child was born to a German Citizen!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/8/05 11:53 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
http://www.handbuch-deutschland.de/book_de.html

""Children who have at least one parent with German citizenship, regardless whether it is the mother or father, are automatically German citizens from birth onwards. If both parents are foreign nationals, the child only has German citizenship automatically from birth if one or more of the parents has been legally living in Germany for a period of 8 years and has a settlement permit ("Niederlassungserlaubnis") or is an EU citizen entitled to freedom of movement.""
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/8/05 3:10 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
raj made the point. magi, unfortunately it is not that easy to get the german citizenship.

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/12/06 3:55 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
Hi,

What raj said was a long time ago. But a few days ago we got a letter telling us that our daughter has got the german citizenship based on the Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz §4 par(3) - which, like said before, says actually that one parent has to have 8 years in Germany and a NE. I have only 6 and a NE.

Did something like this happen to anyone else? Since I don't know if this is a mistake or a new change in th law.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/12/06 5:06 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
"I have only 6 and a NE"

Maybe your wife/husband is German.. or you are from a new EU-Country.. or maybe there is a subtle detail about you which we dont know and makes your child eligible for the citizenship.. there is no new law in this regard.. If you are here for 6 years than your child should not get the German citizenship automatically.. this looks like a mistake.. and if it is uncovered some time in future, the german citizenship of the child can be revoked.. so I would double check with the authorities, instead of trying to take advantage of their mistake, as it is very easy to uncover this mistake, if someone takes a look at your residence files at the aliens office in the future..

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/12/06 5:31 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
Well, if they give citizenship by mistake then they can not take it away, as you might have renounced your previous citizenship. And, instead of admitting their mistake they would jry to justify their action by all means :-)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/12/06 5:58 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
"as you might have renounced your previous citizenship"

This is not true for children. Children can get more than one citizenship via Birth. Child does not have to give up any citizenship, as he/she gets them via Birth. So revoking a citizenship of a child (in case of a mistake or because of falsified documents) with dual citizenship is not a big deal, as the child will NOT be stateless.

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/13/06 4:32 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
Recently there was a case of a guy who lied to get his german citizenship. It was revoked and he was left stateless, as a result, they are now bringing a law to deal with this cases, it will give the state 5 years to appeal the citizenship of a person, if it is discovered that there was a fraudulent application.

AFAIK, according to current law, your child will have to decide which citizenship to keep once he reaches maturity. A fraktion of the Bundestag is trying to get this paragraph removed.

-a
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/13/06 11:19 AM as a reply to Ma Gm.
Both me and wife have no german citizenship, only I have NE, and come from Romania which gets into the EU only in 2007. But anyway the law says:
- 8 years in Germany AND
- EU member OR NE holder
So i still see no reason for my daughter to get it emoticon
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/13/06 12:48 PM as a reply to Ma Gm.
"So i still see no reason for my daughter to get it"

me neither ;)

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)