Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Meeting the World!

Departure from Indian to German Citizenship

Toggle
I have just received the approval of my discretionary naturalization to acquire the German Citizenship. I would appreciate, if someone in this forum could navigate with through follow-up procedure to give up the Indian passport and acquire the German one. Also, I have a 6-month old son born in Berlin who holds an Indian passport with German Visa valid up to his 18th Birthday. I was wondering if he can also be naturalized in parallel or soon after my naturalization. FYI, during my application, I had opted out for his naturalization.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Departure from Indian to German Citizenship
Answer
9/21/09 12:04 AM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
When you go to authorities (Ausländersamt / Burgerbüro) with your passport and the said letter you have got. They will take your inidan passport(s), ask you sign the Einbürgerung urkunde, your Indian passport's visa will be cancelled. Authority keep the indian passport and deal with Indian Embassy / consulate themself.

You will have to then go to Burgerbüro and apply for German passport. By default, german born child will also get german citizenship as per your case. So happened with my kids.

Regards
BS
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/09 10:44 AM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
I was wondering if I need to go the Indian Consulate to renounce the Indian Citizenship. Do I get the German Passport soon after my Visa is cancelled by German Authorities. Or first I get the Naturalization Certificate, with which I need to go to Buergeramt to apply for the German Passport.
Also, my kid was born Indian because my wife and me both hold Indian Nationality. Now, my status would change (not of my wife). Do you think, he will become German by default as soon as I change my Nationality. For you information, I have been in Germany only for 3 years, and my naturalization is discretionary (honorary for scientist etc). Not for 6-8 years that is usually required. Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/09 2:25 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
@roundtheclock

"Discretionary Naturalization" is a rare honour which is bestowed upon individuals with extra-ordinary abilities. Its a matter of pride for all of us indian/ex-indian that you have been selected for this honour.

Sadly, this honour can not be extended towards your family members and they have to fullfil the minimum residency requirement, but they would get NE with immediate effect and after 3-years they can apply for conventional naturalization.

Please do tell more about yourself and your achievements, it would be an inspiration to other members.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/09 2:50 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
I do not know exactly the law but you should ask your officer. Ask him what about your wife and child. You want to stay German but you need to be sure about family. You can also ask discretion for them. But also I think it will be no problem after you become German citzen.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/09 11:59 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Dear Akshay
Thanks for your response. My name is Nishith, and I am a biomedical scientist at the Humboldt University of Berlin. Currently, I hold a position as a Principal Investigator, and preside over a lab of 10 researchers.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 9:58 AM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Thank you so much guys for all your useful information. The naturalization process including my passport and ID applications went quite well and realized in one day. I would appreciate learning about your experience and guidelines regarding my prospective application for the OCI. Being more specific: Can I submit it before I receive my German passport (in 5 weeks)? How long usually it takes to get the OCI documents? I am planning to return to India in the next 5 years to begin with research in a government institution. I have learnt that certain government jobs can he held by foreign citizens but not others such as administrative and political carriers. I would appreciate, if somebody knows the link of an official GOI portal where all of these granted and restricted jobs are specified. Thanks in Advance. Nishith
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 12:33 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Congratulations Nishith:-)

OCI link in you case (Res. of Berlin)

http://www.indianembassy.de/template.php?mnid=801&sm=1&inclpage=oci.inc
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 2:01 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
OCI you can apply after the german passport, because OCI sticker is also pasted on Foregn passport.

You can submit online application and you need to record the OCI number. Prepare 2 sets of documents. Take care of correct photograph size, it is not bio-metric standard.
Need to submit/post these documents at consulate and then in 4 weeks. you get status on intenet if granted. You need to go/send your passports for OCI.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 6:30 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Congrats Nishith!

Did you find the list of government jobs that are not allowed for OCI holders with other nationalities? What about DRDO scientific positions and faculty/research positions at educational institutions like IITs and NITs? I think within government jobs these jobs are mostly applicable for researchers. The Indian embassy link says: "Please note that OCI-PIO card does not entitle the holder to undertake missionary work, mountaineering and research work without prior permission of the Govt. of India."
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 10:15 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Is it sure that they don't accept biometric photos? I thought they are normal standard now a days for any govt. application process.

If not biometric standard, how can we make sure that we satisfy the given creiteria from indian govt. I think it is difficult to get such a complicated photo from German photo studio or?

Any inputs are highly appreciated. I have planned to travel to Indian embassy on Firday to submit my application.

Thank you in advance,

-RK
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/09 10:24 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
passport-size photographs 51x 51mm with shoulder and light background... You can get it from German photo studios.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/24/09 7:52 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
As far as I understand reading the OCI details, the foreigners of Indian origin holding an OCI card can not participate in administrative, judicial and political carriers. There appears to be no restriction on other jobs including scientific positions. The research work (and other stuff like missionary work) is mentioned in context of field research while holding a position in the foreign country. Does somebody know anybody who has returned to India as a Government Employee or at a public institution while maintaining his/her foreign citizenship?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/25/09 11:18 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
@quicky: and others:

Thanks for sharing information. But the, as usual as Indian govt office working style, happend to face strange situation in this regards:

- It was clearly every where said photos should be 51x51mm.
- I got confirmation from them via phone over size
- After filling OCI application form online, we got to print that, they provided a box where we are supposed to place photos. In that box also they have written 51x51. (But the left space is not sufficient for that., realised later after taking photo graphs)

Despite all these confirmation: When I visited embassy today, they said the photos are too big. I had to aruge, atleast they accepted and they would come back to me on this issue again.
- Secondly, no where it is writte (may be I missed) but they expected 4 photos! it was also a surpise. I expected two photos were sufficient for two forms but for some reason they asked 4. I luckly had in hand.

So please be warned this information. Get confirmation with concern officer before you go in person or post.

Comments are welcome.

-RK
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/26/09 3:45 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
@ Alien0in2de
Sorry to learn about your experience. Did the Embassy staff tell you what photo size they need for appropriate processing of your application. Also, do they accept cash payment or also with EC card?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/26/09 11:08 PM as a reply to Nishith Gupta.
Hi,

They said the photo should fit in the box/provided space on the form. But again, they have no clue why it is written every where 51x51.

They accept only fees in CASH. they don't accept EC or any other cards.

-RK
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18