Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Start Up

internet connection

Toggle
internet connection
Answer
3/4/05 12:31 PM
Hi,

I just have a computer. No ISDN, no telephone.
What should I buy to have internet connection (a cheaper possibility) ? I am completely new to this.
Ofcourse I use internet at work ;-)

Thanking you,
Nagananda
0 (0 Votes)

Re: internet connection
Answer
3/4/05 2:13 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
You can try Arcor, Alice (new one) or M-net if you are living in Bayern. Deutsche telekom is the last option as it is very expensive.

In Arcor you can get ISDN + DSL + Flat internet
for around 40 Euro. Similarly for Alice and M-net.
Deutsche Telekom is damm expensive and I suggest to choose it as the last option
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/4/05 2:37 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
I have also analog phone line + DSL + Flat Internet with download limit of 1,5 GB
for 40 Euros monthly. It is from Deutsche Telekom and I didnt pay anything for the wireless router.

I think DT is also reducing the prices because of the competition and I never had problems of connectig to specific internet sites.

On the other hand, What is ISDN good for ? when I have a DSL connection, why should I need ISDN as well ? an analog line will do phoning job anyway.

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/4/05 3:13 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi Lacrimo

"Flat Internet with download limit of 1,5 GB" I loved this phrase. Flat = No Limits!

Yes you are right. You don´t need in anyway an ISDN line but to Deutsch Telekom like to let you believe (if you ask directly they answer the true but if you don´t ask...) you need an ISDN line to have a DSL connection. Base payment for an ISDN line is 5 Euro expensive than analog lines.

ISDN is like have a telephone central at home. You have three numbers, you can program more than one telephone at home (one for you, one for your wife usw.) and you have some extra services. The services are quite OK but is nonsense to switch your line to ISDN if you have an analogic line.

In my case, If I wanted an Analoglinie I had to pay extra 50 Euro but with an ISDN line costed 0. This was because the former habitant of my hause had an ISDN line.

Another bad thing is the telephones and faxes and modems must be ISDN and this is more expensive, but with Ebay there are a lot of cheap options that works.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/4/05 3:56 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi YO
Thanks for the explanation. I am not sure about these DSL terms but my understanding was if there was no time-limit for the connection, that connection is supposed to be flat ? but not sure though.. for example, I can stay 24 hours online each day during the month, as long as I dont exceed the 1,5 GB limit.. anyway.. not that important..

The problem is some companies try to market ISDN as a great thing.. but for sa single person who needs only a simple phone line.. ISDN is no good and waste of his money.. I was also confused at the beginning when I started to search for DSL, ISDN, Analog line offers..

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/4/05 4:08 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
@Lacrima

Why you say sorry? You don´t have the duty of knowing everything. I was also confused when I started to find a DSL provider.

But the providers know that and take profit from that. You start adding options for 1 or 2 euros and end paying 1000.

Flat means "not restriction at all" nor time, no volume. Some providers say "Time restriction" or "Volume restriction" but the truly Flat is both.

Normally you don´t need more than a couple of Gb but there are some applications like Stream Video/Music and some others... that are very very space (bandwith) eaters.

I have 5 Gb/month, navigate A LOT and usually doesn´t go beyond the 3 Gb limit.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/4/05 4:32 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Deutsche Telekom offers free WLAN modem and connection for NULL EURO, but the Kündigungsfrist is 12 months!! So you lose in case you shift your house within the next 12 months.... By the way this 0 Euro offer is only for existing customers of DT already having a phone line.

I have a question: What happens if I change my apartment within the same flat? I mean, what if I shift from the 2nd floor to the 4th floor? Will they consider it as a cancellation and ask me to pay connection fees again?

Maybe i´ll call up the free customer hotline. But if anyone knows the answer......
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/5/05 2:39 AM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi all,
I have T-ISDN(20.34)+T-DSL(14.64)=€34.98

Due to confusion of DSL,i have ordered DSL with ISDN then i have to pay extra for converter ISDN to analog for phone.
Previously I have 1&1 DSL 5 GB for €14.95, now i have changed to just DSL for 3GB = €4.95.

Changing ISDN to Analog is free or €€€?,what is Analog + T-DSL = ? charges

regards.

dilbir
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/5/05 5:37 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
hi,
Also with analog can you also phone when you are online with DSL?,i had decided ISDN to keep phone free while surfing ... i was not clear with
DSL & Phone ...

dilbir
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/5/05 6:52 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
just to help to complicate more the things :-) ...

has anybody any idea about taking services with extra VoIP?

devices out there like "AVM FRITZ!BOX SL Fon" are "hot" but with all the hype you never know what is good for you.

thanks,

Alex
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/7/05 3:04 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi *
I have a confusion as well:
I have a DSL 1.5 Gb with 1Mbit line from DT since 4 months now.(12 months contract.)
Is it possible for me to only change the ISP?I.e arccor/1&1 cost much cheaper for e.g 1&1 costs 10€/month for flat!Where as I pay 10€ for 1.5Gb!
Is it possible that I keep the DT 1mbit line (I pay for that 17€/months) and switch to some other provider.In that case do I break the contract?

Or the DSL line has to be provided by the provider whome Internet packet one is using?

Any Ideas?

VAH
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/7/05 5:27 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
@vah
You can not change the DT contract. You received the wireless router(100 Euro) for free and also didnt pay for the 1,5 GB usage for the first month(10 euro) and also didnt pay for the first connection cost of the DSL(100 Euro). These were the bonus points given you by DT with 12 month contract.

That was the whole idea of the DT's DSL campaign but I dont know what happens if you break the contract. I think you may need to pay the remaining months of the contract in advance which would not be very wise, I guess.

By the way, I have the same DT package as well. I am using the net only at evenings after work and I dont do stuff like video-streaming or huge amount of MP3 downloads. 1,5 GB is more than enough for me. It depends on your personal needs though. You should have compared the offers before signing the DT contract.

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/7/05 5:42 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
@ dilbir:

Yeah, the analog telephone line remains free when using DSL to surf!! (just like ISDN)

@lacrima:

Can you confirm that 1&1 is the best DSL provider with the cheapest surfing rates for DSL?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/7/05 5:50 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
@fred
Sorry, I can not confirm it because I have never used the DSL provider that you are mentioning. I personally dont have problems with DT but it is expensive. It only makes sense, if you make use of the campaign with discounts and if limited download amount is not a big deal for you.

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/8/05 4:12 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi Fred,
If DSL provider is 1&1 then 5GB cost €9.xx,but with TDSL 5GB cost €14.98.

You can try www.billiger-surfen.de for compaireson.

if you have TDSL then can create Call-By-Call account with www.JustDSL.de (100mb free every month)& test speed if acceptable(for me ok),3GB cost €4.98

Regards

mahmud
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/8/05 6:24 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Thanx mahmud for your reply.

Freenet seems a bit cheaper at the moment:
http://www.freenet.de/freenet/dsl/dsl-einsteiger/sx-einsteiger/sx-einsteiger-tarife/index.html?pid=1323&pc=851323

Whereas 1&1 looks so:
http://dsl.1und1.de/einsteiger.php?&page=anschluss
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/8/05 6:31 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Just checked the site and for people like me (got disconnected from the internet only during the reboot process and with more than 200 Gb both up and downstream) ARCOR looks to be the cheapest. Thanks God that's what I got since 2 years ;)

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: ISDN thingy
Answer
3/11/05 6:46 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
I went through your messages in this thread and I somehow felt most of you got it wrong about this concept.

ISDN is all digital and allows both voice and data be transmitted simultaneously. The main advantages of this technology are speed, more telephone numbers, fax and also cheaper calls but the installation costs are high. Deutsche Telekom offers this package so that all the local calls you make within Germany are relatively cheaper than the analog lines but the monthly charges are €6 more than the ordinary analog connection.

so if you are an internet geek, you make few calls within Germany, not interested in having more than one telephone number and you don't fax then just an analog connection should be sufficient.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/15/05 11:57 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
ISDN is all digital and allows both voice and data be transmitted simultaneously. The main advantages of this technology are speed, more telephone numbers, fax and also cheaper calls but the installation costs are high.

Current ISDN applications in daily life don't have high rates, in general. Most common usage of ISDN is 2B + D, which means a. you can have two telephone numbers at home in parallel (2 * B = 2 * 64 kbps digital phone connection) AND b. you have 64 kbps of data connection (D, in other words, internet).

In other words again, analog line and digital line provide almost the same bandwidth (56 kbps - 64 kbps). ISDN doesn't have any advantage over dial-up modem internet connection made over an analog line.

so if you are an internet geek, you make few calls within Germany, not interested in having more than one telephone number and you don't fax then just an analog connection should be sufficient.

If you really use internet very rare, just analog line (ie. dial-up modem connection to Internet) is ok. With a few more Euros, DSL access to internet (which is done on an analog home connection) is much better.

By the way, the offer of Arcor is an overkill. ISDN + DSL. ISDN has been an old technology, and its only advantage left today is that it supports two telephone numbers in a flat.

Due to my 8-year telecom engineering background, my personal recommendation is not to use Arcor, or, more generally, not to buy any ISDN service. It's just an overkill, just a few more Euros for nothing.

Kiss to all DSL end users!

Klenze17
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/16/05 7:35 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Due to my 8-year telecom engineering background, my personal recommendation is not to use Arcor, or, more generally, not to buy any ISDN service.

yes, also this will be my good advice to new users but the ones who are already paying should have difficulty in dropping because they charge almost the same amount that should be equal to the additional costs you pay for ISDN alone means if you drop you save around 6 to 10 euros per month that is approx. 96 euro/year and for dropping you wil have to pay around 30 euro plus the frequent telephone calls you make in Germany plus free weekends so all in all it will cost that year. If you drop then you will only benefit the next year where you are off from the ISDN price burden
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/17/05 12:02 PM as a reply to Vinod B.
Hi,

Arcor is really a blunt organization. I made am internet contract with them on the 2nd week of Jan but i still didnt get any mail from them stating my internet connect date. I am not able to reach them by telephone. I went to the arcor shop here and i was told tht it takes 6-8 weeks for an DSL connection. Is it true??

Regards
Rajesh
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3