Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Meeting the World!

Different strocks for different folks!

Hi all,

Have you heard the German expression "Andere Länder, andere Sitten"? Well I tell you my experience is that Colombia is still a very catholic country with many uses inheritage from Spain, therefore the so called Holy Week (in fact it is just two days: Holy Thursday and Holy Friday)is very serious. We have the "Procesiones", which is a ceremony in the streets, in which some men carry holy figures that tell you about the Christ´s passion. 99% of stores and clubs are closed those days. One should not eat meet and even fasten. The week end with Jesuschrist´s Resurrection on Sunday.
As you notice it is a very religious celebration.
Then back here in Germany...or at least in Berlin there is no tracks of such festivity...but the cafes are plenty of eggs, rabbits, etc... it is very lively (schools have free the whole Eastern week)and not serious at all. I guess it has a lot to do with the fact of changes in weather -Spring-.
This Easter I learned the meaning of eggs and rabbits. At the first glance it sounds very shallow, but I find it very interesting:
-Eggs: in the middle age rich landlords use to give presents to their subalter, being eggs one of the most common gift.
-Rabbits are related to liveliness and fruitful (I guess because they have many little rabbits)

I really like the opportunity to live both experiences. It is great to see how one thing can have many different meanings.

Tell us about your experience.

Regards,
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3