Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

Importance of university reputation in job market

Toggle
Hi all

I am an Electrical Engineer interested in getting a MSc degree in Germany, and ultimately working in Germany in the area of renewable energies (preferably in a research institute or in an engineering firm), but I need some help here:

Based on research reputation (as given in CHE's ranking), my preferred Unis to apply for were: RWTH Aachen, TU Munich and TU Darmstadt. But due to the application deadlines I will only be able to apply to TU Darmstadt, Uni Magdeburg, Uni Paddenborn and FH Aachen.

In Germany is it important the research reputation of the University one got his degree in the job market?
Do the big companies (like Siemens or Fraunhofer-Institute) only hire engineers from the best Unis or not?

I would appreciate any comments or experience regarding this issue.

Cheers!
Javier
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Importance of university reputation in job market
Answer
4/24/12 12:21 AM as a reply to Javier A.
From my experience, in Germany the university name does not play such a big role like to for example in USA.

Of course that there is difference between Fachhochschule and univerity. But the difference is mostly for salary ranking. And after few years and with gaining experience and proving yourself the difference is being minimized. Between the univiersities or Fachhochule themselves the difference for employers is small .

Importanr for you is to get specialization in your preferred field of interest, get good marks and preferably an internship in a company or research institute to gain some experience and combine it with the theoretical knowledge.

If you wish to work in research institute - university is better. If you wish to work in an industrial company - FH is better.

Good luck!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/24/12 1:03 AM as a reply to Javier A.
Hi,

Well I think it does not matter from which you university you take your degree although if you are from the highest rank universities or institutes the expectations from the hiring company/Instt. will be really high in Germany which sometimes too difficult to prove.

Espacially in the area of Renewable standards are too high and correct no chance to make an error at all.

I am not scaring you but this is what I have seen in these years.

Good luck.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/24/12 12:11 PM as a reply to Javier A.
I do not think it really matters from employer from which Uni you did your MSc (good thing about Germany), but for student it might make a difference because your subjects of choice are offered by some Unis and not all

I have been working since a couple of years and never asked or never been asked about my uni background.

Without worrying search for your subject of interest and not University based on ranking ignoring the former.

FYI, I worked with Siemens for couple of years. Companies tend to hire employees of interest and engineers with good technical background rather than with good degrees
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/25/12 7:38 AM as a reply to Javier A.
Thanks for the very detailed answers, they have been very useful for forming an idea of the job market in Germany.

Now I have a related question:
Is the quality of the education more or less the same across different Universities, or does it vary a lot between the top Universities and the rest?
Also, are Masters in English of the same quality as those in German?

Cheers!
Javier
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
5/4/12 3:42 AM as a reply to Javier A.
Another related questions: From what I understand, after graduation from a German University, one can get his residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") extended for one year to search for employment.

If one obtains a job offer, then the new Aufenthaltserlaubnis will be restricted to that specific company. Isn't it?

But what happens if one is fired from that company (let's say after one year and a half)? I assume the Aufenthaltserlaubnis automatically expires, but is there a way to stay legally in Germany and look for a new job?
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott