Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

Driving License validity ?

Toggle
Driving License validity ?
Answer
8/19/05 11:50 AM
Does anyone how long German Driving License is valid. Also what will happen if someone leave Germany (un-register) and go back to his home country / non-EU ? Will his Driving License be still valid ?

regards

Tali
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Driving License validity ?
Answer
8/19/05 12:34 PM as a reply to dfht sdg.
Hi Tali

Very complicated question for a friday, even more for 9 hour ;-)

Well in theory, the German Driving License is valid for life. Maybe you have noticed this when you go to Aldi and see a 99 years old man who maybe cannot walk but he came in a big Audi A6.

In addition, the Führerschein is not only a German Driving License. Is an European driving license.

But I´m not sure what happens if you go away from Germany.

Just my 1 1/2 cent (Friday I don´t reach the two cents)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/05 9:28 PM as a reply to dfht sdg.
The German driving license(GDL) is valid for life! But it depends on what you want to do with the license. If you want to drive within the EU, the license is obviously accepted. But, if you have to drive outside the EU/Europe, your driving license has to be coupled with an International Driver's permit, the validity of which is a mere 2 years! So, it depends on where you want to drive.

In addition, some countries/states have agreement with the German dept of transportation. For Ex: Virginia, Florida, Arkansas etc have agreements with the German Govt and therefore, the DL from there can be swapped for the DL here, while NY, Texas, Calif etc have no agreements and therefore, the DL conversion from/to any of these places won't have any value.

If you end up in one of the places with an agreement, you would have to *exchange* your GDL for a DL of that place. This exchange (atleast from US to here) is a one time affair, which means that the DL you turned in for exchange is lost forever (I ended up losing mine..they shredded it!).
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/20/05 1:11 AM as a reply to dfht sdg.
Thanks @YO and @SXP302 .... valuable information., wish you very nice weekend

My target were the countries like middle-east. if German driving license is valid there or do one need to convert or exchange ... does any one know particular about middle-east ?

thanks all

regards

Tali
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/22/05 11:56 PM as a reply to dfht sdg.
The best thing would be to take a look at the dept. of motor vehicles website in your target country. Ofcourse, if it is not available in English, an alternative worth exploring is the US Embassy website of that country, where they usually list such commonplace procedures under the "citizen services" section.
Enjoy the drive;-)
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18