Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Meeting the World!

Residence Status after Divorce

Toggle
Residence Status after Divorce
Answer
7/2/06 11:07 PM
Dear Friends,

I am really worried about my future. I got married to an Austrian citizen 4 years back and alltogether I have been living in Austria since 5 and half years.

Due to some problems my wife is threatining to divorce me.

My question is say if within a month she is able to get a divorce from the court, what will be my legal status in Austria.

Currently I have the "Afunthaltstitel" which states the following
auf des aufenthalstitel: Familienangehoringer
Sontige Angaben: Freier zugang zum arbeitsmarkt
valid until 2008

Once she is able to get a divorce

Will I be allowed to work
Will I have to leave Austria
By Jan 2007 I will be completing 5 years of work and residence in Austria so will I be given the permanent residency or since I am divorced will I not be given Permanent residency.

Please advice. I will also be glad if you could point me to a website that will give me more infomration with regards to my situation.

Thank you.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Residence Status after Divorce
Answer
7/2/06 11:27 PM as a reply to amir khan.
@AmirKhan

In Germany after 3 years of marriage to a german you are entitled to german citizenship. However, there is one incident I know about, which is more or less your case. I know an african guy who got married to a german girl and after 2 years she was threatining to divorce him. Eventually they came to an agreement to wait for 1 more year so that he could take german citizenship. Ofcourse there was some finacial benefit to the girl offered. Is it possible in your case?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/3/06 1:37 AM as a reply to amir khan.
@ Akshay,

thanks for the info, the german law is more leniant but then I am not sure what is the law in austria.
In my case I would not want to make such a deal with my wife since I believe it would be an highly immoral act.

If you know someone who could give me some info about my questions please do let me know. I would be grateful to you.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/3/06 12:17 PM as a reply to amir khan.
Hello,

the website is http://www.auslaender.at/ there seems to be a draft of the law implementing the eu directive here: http://blatt.htu.tugraz.at/fremdenrecht2005/?doc=nag

Before you were married, what kind of status did you have, were you studying? Also, do you currently have a job?

Rgs,
-a
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/9/06 1:12 AM as a reply to amir khan.
Alvarez,

I was working for on a job visa for a year and then I got married. I was not studying. Well the company that I was working for belongs to my wife's family. My wife's family decided to remove me from the job so as to make it difficult for me to stay in Austria.

I currently do not have a job.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/10/06 12:20 PM as a reply to amir khan.
If you were working on a regular permit then you probably have the 5 years required for a permanent residence according to the draft (and in any case under EU law). I strongly recommend that you get a job as soon as possible and that you start talking to an immigration lawyer about your case.

Rgds,
-a
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3