Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

German citizenship requirements (Einburgerung)

Toggle
German citizenship requirements (Einburgerung)
einburgerung citizenship requirements
Answer
9/29/16 4:14 PM
Hi, I have been living in Munich for 6 years and have recently finished a PhD. I am a British citizen but I am planning on staying in Germany and I'd like to get German citizenship. I have yet to do the 'Eingurgerungs test' and pass B2 level German but I can do both quite soon. However, I have been told that I need to have paid 'Rentenversicherung' for 60 months (5 years), i.e. have been on an employment contract for that time. Unfortunately I have only been on a contract for 2 of those 5 years (the rest of the time I was on a stipend). Is the 60 months of Rentenversicherung payment really a requirement? I'm finding it hard to get a firm answer on this. If it is a hard requirement, is there a way to circumvent the rule by appealing to a specific organisation? Lastly, I know that it is generally required that someone has lived in Germany for 8 years before they can get citizenship, but I have also heard that that time can be reduced to 6. Does anyone know if this is really possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Laurence 
+1 (1 Vote)

RE: German citizenship requirements (Einburgerung)
Answer
9/30/16 1:49 PM as a reply to Laurence Lewis.
Laurence Lewis:
Hi, I have been living in Munich for 6 years and have recently finished a PhD. I am a British citizen but I am planning on staying in Germany and I'd like to get German citizenship. I have yet to do the 'Eingurgerungs test' and pass B2 level German but I can do both quite soon. However, I have been told that I need to have paid 'Rentenversicherung' for 60 months (5 years), i.e. have been on an employment contract for that time. Unfortunately I have only been on a contract for 2 of those 5 years (the rest of the time I was on a stipend). Is the 60 months of Rentenversicherung payment really a requirement? I'm finding it hard to get a firm answer on this. If it is a hard requirement, is there a way to circumvent the rule by appealing to a specific organisation? Lastly, I know that it is generally required that someone has lived in Germany for 8 years before they can get citizenship, but I have also heard that that time can be reduced to 6. Does anyone know if this is really possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Laurence 

Dear Laurence,

my situation was similar to yours only difference being i'm from Pakistan. After finishing my Masters i did my PhD also in Germany and after finding a permanent position in Hessen i went to inquire my respective Naturalization office(EBH) about my chances for German Naturalization (after approx.6yrs residence in Germany). To my surprise the case worker was a very friendly person, he told me about Ermessenseinbürgerung (Discretionary Naturalization according to Section §8 of Naturalization Act i.e. after 6 years residence in Germany). I was only asked to take an Einbürgerungstest and not required to do B1 language test, as the case worker thought my German language skills are good enough and as evidence he suggested to submit my Masters and PhD Degree obtained at German Universities. 

I will recommend to simply inquire at your responsible EBH and fulfill the requirements. Should you need any further information, feel free to write to me.

Best regards,
Raj++

P.S: this is not a legal advice.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/5/16 10:59 AM as a reply to R V.
Hi Raj, 
       Thanks for the reply. At the time you were accepted for citizenship had you paid 5 years (60 months) of rentenversicherung? In other words had you had an employment contract for 5 years?

Laurence 
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/5/16 4:54 PM as a reply to Laurence Lewis.
Laurence Lewis:
Hi Raj, 
       Thanks for the reply. At the time you were accepted for citizenship had you paid 5 years (60 months) of rentenversicherung? In other words had you had an employment contract for 5 years?

Laurence 

Hi Laurence,

when i received Einbürgerungszusicherung (Promise of Naturalization) i already paid approximately 58.months of RV.

regards,

Raj++
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/18/16 10:25 AM as a reply to R V.
Hi Raj, do you also know whether the requirement for 5 years of rentenversicherung payment is still necessary even after someone has lived in Germany for 8 years? I will have lived here 8 years before I have paid 5 years worth of rentenversicherung. Will I be able to become a German citizen after the 8 years is up, or will I have to then wait an additional amount of time untill I have accrued 5 years of rentenversicherung payment? 

Laurence
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/27/16 3:48 PM as a reply to Laurence Lewis.
Laurence Lewis:
Hi Raj, do you also know whether the requirement for 5 years of rentenversicherung payment is still necessary even after someone has lived in Germany for 8 years? I will have lived here 8 years before I have paid 5 years worth of rentenversicherung. Will I be able to become a German citizen after the 8 years is up, or will I have to then wait an additional amount of time untill I have accrued 5 years of rentenversicherung payment? 

Laurence
Dear Laurence,

at the time of application i also didnt paid 60months of RV.
But i will suggest to make an appointment with your EBH and ask them yourself, as every case-worker has his/her own interpretation of this law.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards,
Raj++
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7