Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Customs duty on items from India to Germany

Toggle
Hello,

I am sending some of my used household items (utensils, appliances, music system, clothes etc) from India to Germany via DHL? Could anyone who has done this before help me with these?

1. Do I have to pay custms duty for these during clearance in Germany if I declare them as used (they really are)?
2. If above is yes: I am even transporting some items when was originally purchased in Germany? Is duty applicable even for these
3. Do I need original invoice for even used items?

Thanks
Nirmal
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Customs duty on items from India to Germany
Answer
10/8/08 12:15 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Hey Nirmal.

I have done this before.

1) May be you would like to check out Schenker.com. It is owned by Deutsche Bahn, they have offices all over India. DHL is expensive.

2) U dont have to pay customs duty, if they are for your personal use and they have been used before.

3) For goods originally purchased in Germany, since they are used, they dont qualify for any duty.

4) Normally not, but if the German customs suspect and find that goods are brand new. U might want to justify using invoices. In my case not needed.

If you leave your email here, I can refer you to a person at Schenker India for competitive rates.

Good luck with your move.

Stuttgarter
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/08 1:14 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Hello Stuttgarter,

Nice info.
Please send me the contact details of Shenker-India to my email id as well: nsoni_noni at yahoo dot com

Further questions:
*What about the customs clearance in India? From my personal expereince, the Indian Custom does not consider the invoices of the things purchased here in Germany rather they evaluate the current price of the particular product in Indian market (they have a long list). And they charge duty based on that list price.

*What about the glass items? We have to do the packing on our own or does Shenker also handle this?

*Did you take any insurance for the costly items? In case something gets broken during transportation...

*Where do we collect the transported goods from? The Shenker-India office or from Custom office(in case of some issues) in some Indian city?

Regards
Soni
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/08 1:16 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Oh ya. It is Schenker.de and not Shenker emoticon
Sorry.

Soni
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/08 3:22 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Mine was India to Germany. I am not familiar with the reverse case.

Schenker's service is door to door, including customs handling. At least in India they packed our goods very well including crockery and glass. All arrived in excellent condition. U can ask them for a quote Air-freight and Sea-freight (LCL basis - less than a container)

Customs in India will be handled by Schenker.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/08 3:23 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Insurance costs are approx. 4% of the declared value of goods.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/8/08 7:49 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Thanks a lot for this valuable information.
Please mail the contact to nirmalts at yahoo dot com

Thanks again
Nirmal
0 (0 Votes)

International Shipment and Customs
Answer
2/17/09 10:26 PM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Hello,

I am planning to send 20 kgs. shipment from Germany to India. DHL cost around € 82.00.

If any one knows any cheap shipment service to India, please mail me at hereshaik@gmail.com.

Another questions:
Do we need to prove goods at Customs Germany or India.

I am sending Pampers of size 15Kgs and above for Handicapped Children. This size is not available in India.

Your reply may helpful!

- hereshaik
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/18/09 10:46 AM as a reply to Nirmal Sasidharan.
Hi Stuttgarter,

Thanks for listing out the details. Can you please let me know the contact of reference person in India. Here's my ID.

mushtaq52@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3