Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Visa Extension for Ph.D. Student

Toggle
Visa Extension for Ph.D. Student
Answer
11/12/09 9:34 AM
I have been doing my Ph.D. in Germany since 2005. My contract was expired at December 2008.
I applied the 1st Visa Extension and got extended until June 2009 but unfortunately it's not enough to finish my Ph.D.
The 2nd Visa Extension was given by Auslanderbehörde but my Prof has to submit an additional letter stating when I will be finish. Therefore I was given the 2nd Visa Extension until the end of 2009.
Unfortunately, as time approaches, I came to realize that my examination won't be happening in year 2009 anymore.
The Auslanderbehörde in my place was known to be the strictest.

My question:
- Would there be any possibility to prolong my stay in Germany under different pretext without troubling/involving my Prof. anymore? (like language school).
- Is it possible to enroll a language school program in other province where the Auslanderbehörde is more friendly but staying at my current city? Basically paying the tuition fee to get the visa extension in other German province but not staying there / not attending the language school.
- Is it possible to extend a visa based on "preparation to go home"?

What I have already done:
- Try to enroll for MBA Program BUT too expensive
- Try to find a job BUT no openings at all

Any help is really appreciated.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Visa Extension for Ph.D. Student
Answer
11/12/09 10:54 AM as a reply to Ayumu Kawashima.
Do not do any thing silly!! Just get a letter from your Professor stating that your exam will take place in 6 months time!! This will save you lot of time, money and pressure!!

Good luck with your PhD..

Rajesh
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/12/09 1:11 PM as a reply to Ayumu Kawashima.
Rajesh is right, if you are on a student visa you can stay up to 10 years doing bachelors or bachelors+masters. For Ph.D 6 years is generally accepted, not sure if the law makes any difference between Ph.D. student and other students regarding possible length of stay. This fuss about MBA/Sprachkurs makes sence only if your funding is connected to a certain project which won't be extended any longer.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/13/09 10:58 AM as a reply to Ayumu Kawashima.
Dear Rajesh, Dear mkorobeinik1,

I have been staying in Germany for 9 years now, doing from Bachelor to Ph.D. now.
It's just that lots of my colleagues didn't even manage to finish their writing even after more than 1 year but in this case all of them have either job or at least not a problem with Visa.
I thank both of you sincerely for your suggestion.
I'll try to talk with Auslanderbehörde regarding my situation and see what I can do.
I'll post the result or any change here.

Best regards,
Ayumu78
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/13/09 11:49 AM as a reply to Ayumu Kawashima.
Usually (based on experience in Bochum) you should not get problems getting extension until you reach 10 years, if you reached 10 years but pretty close to finishing you probably get Fiktionbescheinigung and then Arbeitsuchende visum if you intend to look for a job after graduation. Good luck!
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott