Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Meeting the World!

Dual Citizenship possible - Germany/Deutschland & Canada/Kanada

Toggle
I have lived for 10 years continuously in Frankfurt Am Main.

I am considering to acquire a German citizenship. On the other hands, it is widely reported that the government of Germany does not allow dual citizenship in principle. However, Canada allows dual citizenship.

Can I maintain my Canadian citizenship after my acquisition of German citizenship?
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Dual Citizenship possible - Germany/Deutschland & Canada/Kanada
Answer
7/25/08 11:01 PM as a reply to Pi Kachu.
"Can I maintain my Canadian citizenship after my acquisition of German citizenship"

No

You have to give up your Canadian citizenship to be able to acquire the German one.. that is the requirement of the German Naturalization Law..

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/08 5:12 AM as a reply to Pi Kachu.
Dear Lacrima,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

Dear All

Do you know if there are any examples in the past Canadian citizenship holders eventually became German citizens?

The reason of my inquiry is, to the best of my knowledge, the ministry of citizenship of Canada does not allow Canadian citizens' renouncement of their citizenship in principle.

Exceptional cases include (not limited to)
1) (Japan's) Sumo Wrestlers wish to become Grand Master Executives in the Grand Sumo Association in future. In this case, all governments accept their wishes as their good will.

2) Someone originally from Germany committed treason in Canada, eventually prefers a deportation to Germany after serving in the prison in Canada.

I know some examples that Canadians, marrying to Japanese ladies living in Japan, tried to get Japanese citizenship but their applications for their citizenship renouncement were all denied by Canadian side so that Japanese government which does not allow dual citizenship as well as Germans, reluctantly granted Japanese citizenship to those Canadians. Japanese government is aware with the practices in a number of countries so that they reluctantly grant Japanese citizenship.

I know some examples of Korea. Korea's requirement on renouncement of another country' s citizenship is more strict, therefore, so far except those of Korean ancestry, no Canadian became Korean citizens.

I like to know how German Government have been handling in the past and will handle those people in future.

Or shall I move to France in order to get French citizenship then comeback to Frankfurt with an EU passport? (I am still not fluent in German but French is a Canadian national language.)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/08 12:14 PM as a reply to Pi Kachu.
"The reason of my inquiry is, to the best of my knowledge, the ministry of citizenship of Canada does not allow Canadian citizens' renouncement of their citizenship in principle."

Well I am not that familiar with Canadian citizenship law but I dont think it is true.
I googled a bit and it turns out that you can revoke your Canadian citizenship if you live abroad and if you can show that you are getting another citizenship. (meaning you wont be stateless after revoking it)
http://www.canadalaw.com/canadian_citizenship/citizenship_renouncing.html

On the other hand, German government offices dealing with naturalization have a list of countries where they exceptionally let a dual-citizenship as those countries in the list dont let their citizens to revoke their citizenships but looks like Canada is not one of them. See the list:
http://www.info4alien.de/einbuergerung/themen/12-1-2.htm

Another exception of dual citizenship is when you are holding an EU citizenship but Canada is not in EU either.. ;) so I can't see really any reason why you should exceptionally keep your Canadian citizenship when you apply for German one..

Regards,

Lacrima
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/08 12:31 PM as a reply to Pi Kachu.
Dear Lacrima

Once again, I really appreciate your prompt response.

You are right, that there are ways to renounce Canadian citizenship per the citizenship laws.

However, in some cases or many cases, what it is written is a bit different from actual practices.

Actually, to my knowledge, US/UK/AUS do not allow their citizens to renounce their citizenship so easily. In order to do that, there are lots of requirements before the renouncement.

One example (German-Canadian's treason in Canada) is used among the diplomats in Ottawa and Toronto as a typical case as a possible renouncement.

On the other hands, Canada is not listed on another link you have provided.

Now I am now coming to my conclusion.

1) German Citizenship Laws are of very hard nature, closer to (Republic of)Korean Citizenship Laws.

2) In order to get German one, I have to overcome very high hurdles to renounce Canadian citizenship.

3) I may be better to move to Strasburg to get a French citizenship then come back to Frankfurt to keep my Canadian pasport.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/29/08 7:36 PM as a reply to Pi Kachu.
"3) I may be better to move to Strasburg to get a French citizenship then come back to Frankfurt to keep my Canadian pasport."

HUm...I guess you have to fill French requirements for French citizenchip...
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott