Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Tax on Gift Items by post

Toggle
Tax on Gift Items by post
Answer
9/10/09 2:18 PM
My brother would like to send some gifts from US the cost of which is less than €150 do i have to pay additional tax or customs.
How much is the exempt limit for gift items.

Thanks
Prasad
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Tax on Gift Items by post
Answer
9/10/09 3:15 PM as a reply to prasadp kumar.
@Prasad

First of all there is no exempt for gift items.

Here you can calculate the custom duty applicable,

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarchap?Lang=en

However, gift is very ambiguous term, there is no way of finding out if you haven't already purchased it using online-shop in US and had it delivered to your brother's address, or you are not planning to pay it back with a "cash gift" ;-)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/10/09 4:34 PM as a reply to prasadp kumar.
There might be some gift-deductible. Check the UK link, looks like for EMU (EU Monetary Union) it is the same.

A friend of mine recieved a 10 Euro T Shirt by post. Zoll Amt summoned him and asked him to pay duties.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/10/09 8:20 PM as a reply to prasadp kumar.
The maximum amount for gift items allowed is 45,-€, if it is more than that, than you have to pay a flat tax of 23,-€ upto an amount of 120,-€, in case of invoice being more than 120,-€ than you have to pay 19% of the invoice value.

In case you import at regular price of 150,-€ than i guess you have to pay around 28,50 €. But make sure the exact description of the item is mentioned

But if your brother use DHL or FEDEX or UPS and ship as gift item (NO COMMERCIAL VALUE), than the chances are you don't even have any inquiry from Zoll amt.

Good luck!!
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18