Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Difference between Self Employed (Freiberufler) work permit & national visa

Toggle
Hi All,

I have got more information on my job offer. I am given a 1 year contract (could extend). I am an Indian citizen. My recruitment consultancy have suggested I go for a Self Employed (Freiberufler) work permit & work as a Independent consultant under a umbrella company (their affliated one in Germany) for tax purposes

All along, I was under the impression that I would be applying for a National visa (registed as a employee) & get a EU blue card

I have couple of basic questions & would like to get a second opinion.

I) If I go by this route, is it still under National visa (long stay) or does it go by different visa name.
ii) Does this have same EU rights as the other way ?
iii) Any ideass on Processing time 

Regards,
Arun
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Difference between Self Employed (Freiberufler) work permit & national
Answer
2/2/16 7:09 PM as a reply to Arun Kumar.
In short, I'd personally prefer EU blue card. It is more streamlined and direct than the visa for Freiberufler.

1) It is a long term visa, however, it can be only given for 3 years and cannot exceed that. After those 3 years, you need to apply for settlement permit.

2) No, they are different but I'm not sure about the details. One difference would be applying for settlement permit. With a Blue Card and a solid job&income, you'll get a settlement permit easily after even 21 months.  As a Freiberufler you can also apply, however I'd think that it is much more a hassle to get one.

3) I think Blue Card would be easier. As a Freiberufler, they have to make it absolutely certain that you can support yourself during your stay. A contract makes all of this easier though.

So at the end, it depends. If money is more important, you can go for Freiberufler I think. If you have long term plans in Germany, I'd go for Blue Card. Maybe they won't even give you the option to appy for Freiberufler, "you have a contract, you get BC". I don't know.

I also don't understand how it saves you money to be Freiberufler. It definitely saves the company a lot of tax money, but at your end, I'm quite sceptical that it would benefit you.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Difference between Self Employed (Freiberufler) work permit & national
Answer
2/2/16 7:33 PM as a reply to Arun Kumar.
Hi, 

I do not believe that you have a choice! You will not get a freelancer visa from the beginning, maybe after a couple of years of work in Germany.

The plan with the Umbrella Company means, that you will get an employment contract from the Umbrella Company and the Umbrella C. makes a project contract with the client and send you to work to the client.

trust7 offers such services too, but there are many points to pay attention to, but this is to much to write here.

For you it will be the best option, as Arhem already explained.

Good luck
Detlef
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3