Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Unlimited Work Permit/NE: 6 years of student and an overlapping 3 years of

Toggle
Hello All

I am new to this forum and hence might make a few mistakes in giving the information properly.

My wife and I have been living in Germany for 6 years now. We both came here for doing masters and then stayed on for PhD degree (which we are currently pursuing).

The catch is that we were not married when we arrived here and got married after finishing the masters. Therefore, we have always had independent living permit in Germany based on our study.

After the marriage I starting working as a WiMi and my wife remained a student, pursuing her PhD on scholarship from university.

All well and good so far. Now she is about to finsih her PhD. and we thought she could apply for a free work permit based on the clause that allows wife's to get a free work permit after 2/3 years. But that was not the case as she was not dependent on me....and if she was then she would not have been allowed to purse her PhD right after the marriage and the change of visa status. Do you think we have a chance to get a free work permit for her as it will allow her better opportunities in the job market at this inopportune time of recession.

The other issue now I have is what with the NE. I will be completing 60 months with 18 months from masters studies and 42 months of work. If I am approved for NE...Can my wife get it also....does she have to be a dependent on me...what would you sugest for her to do - to keep her independent status and search for a job or get dependent on me and get a NE...lots of questions and a big confusion in my mind.

I am sure you would have come across these problems earlier...hopefully I will get some help and advise from the Forum members.

Thanking you all in advance

apsaps
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Unlimited Work Permit/NE: 6 years of student and an overlapping 3 years
Answer
3/21/09 1:01 AM as a reply to Amanpreet Singh.
Hi,

I was going to post a similar query and read yours. I am a PhD student in Germany for the past 4 years and I have paid tax for all the 4 years. I will be completing my PhD this june 2009. Further I have done masters before this for 2.5 years. I was under the impression that I can apply for a NE only if I have paid tax for 5 years. But from some other discussions I have read and also from your post, I decipher that it is possible for me to apply for a NE as I can also show the studienzeit in the 60 months of stay required for applying for a NE. Is that true this year also? I have read in another post that they consider studienzeit only after the year 2005 and that laws have changed.

Do you have some weblinks which explain how to apply for a NE ? Can someone explain further on these issues ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Krishnan
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7