Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Buying property in India "in absentia"

Toggle
I am looking for buying residential property (land or flat) in India. How can I get the property registered on my name without needing to go there in person? They say, the buyer should be there in person at registrar's office for signature etc.
I am suggested, a power of attorney can play some role here. How does one do that from here in Germany(Notar?, Rathhaus? Indian embassy?..... which is sufficient?)
Can I avoid registration on somebody else's name and re-registration again at a later time?
Has anybody of you bought residential property in India "in absentia", while living here in Germany?

Please reply. Thank you.
Badhri
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Buying property in India "in absentia"
Answer
7/2/08 7:18 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
Power of Attorney should be generally sufficient and was sufficient in my case. I think if the website is correct you can get a power of attorney in the Indian consulate in germany. Contact the person in the link given below

http://www.cgifrankfurt.de/attestation/attestation.htm
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/2/08 7:18 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
I found the following info from Google:

"The non-resident Indians who are staying abroad may enter into an agreement through their relatives by executing the Power of Attorney in their favour as it is not possible for them to be present for completing the formalities of purchase (negotiating with the builder or Developer, drafting and signing of agreements, taking possession, etc.) These formalities can be completed through some known person who can be given the Power of Attorney for this purpose. Power of Attorney should be executed on the stamp paper before the proper authorities in foreign countries. Power of Attorney cannot be drafted on the stamp paper bought in India."

Now who is this "proper authorities in foreign countries" in Germany? Notar? Rathhaus? Indian embassy?..... which one among these three is "sufficiently authorised for this purpose"?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/2/08 7:36 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
Badhri,

There is a clear answer from Raj.
So dont know what you want again !!

If you have better information try it ..Probierst du einmal ! on your own. Dont post Answer to an Answer & waste everybody's time.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/2/08 7:36 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
Thank you very much for the reply Raj! Can you please tell me how did you proceed to get this POA?

Quote from http://www.cgifrankfurt.de/attestation/attestation.htm

"For services like ..... Power of attorney .... please contact the Embassy or Consulates"

I am in Niedersachsen, so I should contact the consulate in Hamburg..... Should I apply in some official format? Should go to the consulate personally? Or a postal / email correspondence will do? Should I send my passport, visa copies? Which details & documents of the person receiving the POA should be submitted?

By the way, I found the following link with useful info for those looking for buying property in India, so thought of sharing here:

http://desimoney.blogspot.com/2005/05/buying-property-in-india-common-mans.html

I better saved it on my disk.

Greetings,
Badhri
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/2/08 7:55 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
I did my POA in india when i went for vacation. You should contact the person mentioned in Hamburg Consulate for further details as i dont know how it is done here.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/2/08 8:23 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
Thank you once again Raj. Our earlier two posts came at the same time at 4:18 PM so I did not see your reply before that second post of mine. I will contact the consul by telephone and email. Any way I hope the posts will be useful when someone searches for this info later in this forum.

Greetings,
Badhri
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/3/08 12:50 PM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
I did my property registration recently. I dont exactly remember the name of that form.. what you have to is that give thumb impression on that form.. using that form any one can do registration on your name.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Buying property in India "in absentia"
Answer
11/1/12 11:09 AM as a reply to Narayanan Janakiraman.
Need real estate - property expert advise? visit our Propery Forums India. An Indian real estate discussion forum to post queries on realty issues.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott