Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

Claiming Tax

Toggle
Claiming Tax
Answer
11/14/04 4:07 PM
Because German Tax law are so complex, I need input from the GCs who are in the similar situation. Are the following costs claimable?

1. Going back home once a year?
2. Sending money for the care of parents
3. Study cost of spouse in case he/she is unemployed or cannot word due to regulations.

I invite all to please put any other tax claimable items.

Thanks

Sun
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Claiming Tax
Answer
11/14/04 8:14 PM as a reply to sun gc.
To @Sun

Hello Sun,

here a few hints:

"1. Going back home once a year?"
If you have relatives of the first degree (whife,
children) then it is possible to claim some money back, while in this case you are keeping two housholds, one here and one in your country. But if your family is here, I think it wont work.

"2. Sending money for the care of parents"
This is possible, but you have to do some paperwork. You must prove that the parents are getting the money from you. Try to ask your tax advisor, because this is dependend also on the country you are comming from.

For point 3. I do not know. If you find something out please let me know.

Regards,
vbakokr
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/14/04 9:59 PM as a reply to sun gc.
Hi,

#1: Yes and No. If you are married and your family is back in your country while you are working in Germany you can claim back the travel cost. This shall be independent how often you go back. However, you need to demonstrate that you have had the cost and have travelled and that you have been with your family. If you are not married, you cannot claim the travel expensive.
#2: yes, but the other person mentioned there is some paperwork. However, this is only possible if the relatives do not have much money.
#3: Yes. However, there is a fixed amount which is part of the Tax calculation. Only if you have more then this fixed amount the Income tax would be reduced.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 11:02 AM as a reply to sun gc.
Thanks for the input, guys. It has become clearer for me now.

Is there any other cost that we may claim?

Sun
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 11:26 AM as a reply to sun gc.
Hey sun

Do you have a private email where can I send you anything?

Regards

YO
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 11:57 AM as a reply to sun gc.
Hello YO1,

you can send me emails at sun.malhotra@gmail.com.

Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 12:47 PM as a reply to sun gc.
Hi YO1,

I am also interested to know about such tax details because I will be applying for 2003. Instead of sending privately, please post it here. It will be beneficial to many of us.

My parents are back there and I support them from here. I am married. but i vist india once a year. Hence, I am also interested to know more about filing tax so that.

Also what other heads can be there on which we can get tax deductions. For example, driving liscence, study material, etc...

regards
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 1:13 PM as a reply to sun gc.
"1. Going back home once a year?", dunno

"2. Sending money for the care of parents", yes, provided that you mentionned the name of the person who should receive the money, that you keep receipts of the mean you are sending money with (I do that with Western Union) and provided proof that the person you are sending the money, does take the money and use it (a receipt from Western Union in my case is enuff) because you could send it, take it back 5 minutes after and claim that in your taxes as sent, if you see what I mean. But I will advise you to sent it to one person in parcitular, this is more easy to do when claiming it back at the point that even when I have to send money to friends in need back in my country, I still have to send it first to my mom.

"3. Study cost of spouse in case he/she is unemployed or cannot word due to regulations", yes.

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 1:56 PM as a reply to sun gc.
Hello YO1,

If you dont prefer to post in the forum, do let me know too at fredjeffry at hotmail.com

With regards
Fred
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/15/04 2:07 PM as a reply to sun gc.
Thanks to you guys for the input.

I think in majority of cases, spouse are accompaning the GC, so there goes the chance of claiming on "going home". I am bit annoyed because, I have a lot of european friends and they could claim their travel to home country any number of time. For example, if one lives in italy and travel by car, one can easily do the sum based on total kms.

I have a hypothetical situation: lets say your spouse is staying in germany... so tax class III. then she goes to home country for 3 months. And you go home for 2 weeks, where these 2 weeks lies between the 3 months. What happens then. interesting situation isn't it?

What about cost for you to get setteled. Can you claim furniture and electrogerates for the first time... although one may buy them 6 month after coming to germany (because one can live on all inclusive accomodation for a time being).

Sorry for thinking this way but taxes are like that. Remember M Schumacher.

Sun
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18