Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Meeting the World!

Drivers license query

Toggle
Drivers license query
Answer
8/5/09 12:24 PM
After few months I will visit India for one month and after comming back im planing for driver license.
If in India I make International driver license, will it help me in getting license here?
I am living here for more than 3 years.And have a valid Indian license till 2018.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Drivers license query
Answer
8/5/09 12:32 PM as a reply to Max max.
I think if you are more than 3 years in germany , then u have to start fresh for driving license. I am not sure whether rules are changed.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 1:32 PM as a reply to Max max.
@babashankar

The rules have been changed. Now there is no limit of 3 yrs to convert a driving license.

@deathinc
If in India I make International driver license, will it help me in getting license here?
I am living here for more than 3 years.And have a valid Indian license till 2018.

I think that will work. You should posses a driving license before you are registerd in germany (residence permit is taken as reference).
As i see you have avalid driving license since 1998(exp 2018), and if you are in germany after 1998, that will work.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 2:10 PM as a reply to Max max.
exactly my indian license is 1998 dated

and if I make internation license in india it will be 2009 dated(after date of WP in germany)

So do i really need to make Internationl license in india(any benefits?) or i will get benefit from my original indian license?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 2:45 PM as a reply to Max max.
@coolguyinwup

>>The rules have been changed. Now there is no limit of 3 yrs to convert a driving license.

Can you give me the link? Because i dont think that is true since i just converted the driving license of my wife in a hurry.

Update: Yes what you say is true :-) Found the information and looks like they have dropped the rule of 3 years

@deathinc
>>So do i really need to make Internationl license in india(any benefits?) or i will get benefit from my original indian license?

International license is a waste. Just get the original indian license translated and certified. That is enough
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 3:53 PM as a reply to Max max.
Thanks for updates can you tell me do i need to give theory test for this ?

And Indian license translated and certified ,where to get this done (certification)?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 5:05 PM as a reply to Max max.
can anyone post the link??? where it says the 3 yrs clause is longer valid?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 5:20 PM as a reply to Max max.
@Raj2009
http://www1.adac.de/Recht_und_Rat/Fuehrerschein/Auslaendische_Fuehrerscheine/Fahrerlaubnis_aus__anderen_Laendern/default.asp?ComponentID=2851&SourcePageID=10225
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 5:20 PM as a reply to Max max.
In my opinion, for obtaining German license, it does not matter if you hold Indian normal license or Indian international license. Having either of them will put you in to a fast track. This means, you will have to take a theory exam and practical driving exam. You are excempted from taking the mandatory 'N' number of driving classes.

In other words, the difference between exchaning your driving license (either normal or an international) and applying for a fresh license is the mandatory 'N' number of driving classes that you will have to take in case of fresh processing.

If you are any way not familier with driving in Germany, you will any way take classes.

Also note that you will have to surrender your Indian license while obtaining a German one.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/5/09 5:23 PM as a reply to Max max.
@deathinc

Vebalu also already given the information. One has to take both theory and practical exam, but you dont have to do the compulsory driving lessons. But it is advisable to take a few classes as switching from right to left takes time.

Visit a nearby adac office and they will do the translation or search for a Staatlich annerkannte Dolmetscher in your city.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/6/09 3:59 PM as a reply to Max max.
Unsure about the laws and regulations concerning converting a license, but I would guess you would have to retake driving lessons & exams in germany. Driving in germany and driving in india is probably not even closely the same emoticon I would imagine that taking the exam in germany is a bit harder than in India..
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott