Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Work Visa Chances of Success

Toggle
Work Visa Chances of Success
Answer
1/22/15 6:11 PM
Hi All,

I am applying from the U.S. for a work permit for a six month internship with a start-up consulting firm in Munich, Germany. I just gratuated from an Ivy League school and studied a year abroad at a top school in the U.K. I hope these factors help my chances at being accepted but there are a few ambiguities (or potential problems).
  • The internship pay is well below the Ministry of Labor threshold of €47,600, so I would need a ZAV pre-approval. Is approval less likely at lower pay rates?
  • Do I still need some sort of Ministry of Labor approval after obtaining a ZAV?
  • For the application, are original documents necessary or are copies sufficient for (transcript/diplomas, signed firm invitation letter, bank statements)
  • Are the following documents necessary for a six month internship? (confirmation of accomidation, confirmation of flight, affidavit of support, tax return, employment contract (signed by both parties))
  • Any suggestions for increasing the chances of success? Maybe a personal cover letter expressing my interest in Germany and the firm, communicating with officials.
I am really interested in living and working in Germany, this firm suits me perfectly, and I just want to maximize my chances for success.
    Thanks so much,

C
    0 (0 Votes)

RE: Work Visa Chances of Success
    Answer
    1/22/15 7:39 PM as a reply to Christopher Wilbur.
    Hi,

what is your nationality? There are different rules for citizens from different countries.

Detlef
    0 (0 Votes)

Answer
    1/24/15 5:21 PM as a reply to trust7.
    Hi Detlef,

Thanks for your reply. I am American. 

Best,
    Chris
    0 (0 Votes)

Answer
    1/24/15 6:41 PM as a reply to Christopher Wilbur.
    Hi Chris,

as an US citizen you have some privileges compared with other nationalities.

As far as I remember you can travel to Germany as a tourist and change the type of visa in Germany, which is not possible for others.

But I am not a lawyer, so this is no legal advice, please check this websitefor reliable information:

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/00__Start/____Home.html

T
    his means you can travel to Germany and check your chances here. I guess you will not get sufficient money for an internship to get a work permit, but you can get a student visa and as a student you can work for a certain time too.

Good luck

Detlef
    0 (0 Votes)

Answer
    1/24/15 6:59 PM as a reply to trust7.
    Hi Detlef,

Thanks for the response. However I just gratuated and am therefore no longer a student, which places me outside of the internship catagory. I would be happy to travel to Germany, but am wary of the cost constraints. Do think success is more likely from Germany.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Chris
    0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
    Stars: 39
    Date: 3/9/19
    VAK
    Stars: 124
    Date: 2/25/18
    trust 7
    Stars: 3