Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Beschäftigung erlaubt_PhD_ALG

Toggle
Beschäftigung erlaubt_PhD_ALG
beshäftigung erlaubt phd alg
Answer
12/4/14 12:46 AM
Hello everyone,
I am a PhD student and had a work contract for 3 years and have paid all the taxes as per german laws. Now I am towards the end of my PhD work and wanted to apply for ALG. I have my visa valid until October, 2015. But I was told by Arbeitsagentur that I am not eligible for ALG because I have a student visa. I wanted to know if it is now possible to change my visa class from student to 'Beschäftigung erlaubt' or some other class so that I can get ALG? Does anyone had a similar experience? Please help...
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Beschäftigung erlaubt_PhD_ALG
Answer
12/4/14 4:32 AM as a reply to Meenakshi Rana.
u can apply for job search visa.. they would probabbly give u 1 year.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/14 10:53 AM as a reply to Wim Hannover.
Thank u for your answer. But for the job search visa I think I would need a degree from a german university which I don't have now. I will finish my PhD in 3-4 months. But my contract is ending in DEcember, 2014. But I have a student visa until October, 2015. I needed ALG during this period. I have paid all the taxes and so...But since I have this student visa it does not work.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/14 11:14 AM as a reply to Meenakshi Rana.
Hi,

the problem is that as a student you have to pay some salary taxes, but no social security things, like unemployment insurance payments.

So if you do not pay for it, how you can expect unemployment money?

Even 'normal' employees have to pay for a minimum number of month into this insurance, before they are eligible to get some money in case of job lost.

Detlef
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/14 11:20 AM as a reply to trust7.
No. I have paid all the taxes like normal employee for 3 years. I had a work contract as a wissenschftilcher mitarbeiterin. I have been to Arbeitsgentur and they have looked into my salary slips and annual Elektronish Lohnsteuer Ausdrucken. Everything is fine with that but since the visa is a wrong class, I am not eligible. So they say if I can get my visa changed then everything is fine.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/14 11:28 AM as a reply to Meenakshi Rana.
Okay, but we do not talk about salary taxes. I talk about social security payments. But if you have paid this, I do not see any reason not to pay you unemployment money.

Maybe you should just ask another officer at the Arbeitsagentur! 

Sometimes one gets a wrong information and does have a lot of trouble for nothing. Maybe one of our t7 Students has some experiences.

I would even ask a lawyer before I believe this!

Good luck

Detlef
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/4/14 11:41 AM as a reply to trust7.
Thank you so much for your replies.
I also believe that because my other colleagues (non-german) with a student visa were able to get this unemployment money. And by taxes I mean all the social security taxes included. 
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott