Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Cutting O2 contract

Toggle
Cutting O2 contract
Answer
7/24/06 5:14 PM
Hello all,
I hope you can help me in this issue. My brother has a contract with O2 (mobile telefony). The contract started 1 year ago and still is 1 year active. My brother is leaving Germany forever, so he went to ask the O2 how to cut the contract. They told him that by showing an "Abmeldung" in Germany and an "Anmelung" in the new country he is going to, then he does not have to pay the "Grundgebühr" for the remaining 1 year. He did that, and after doing the kundigung of the contract, O2 told him that he has to pay the Grundgebühr for the remaining time and only then they cut the contract. Is this normal? Does anyone have a similar experience. The country where he is going to is outside EU and O2 has no service there.
Would be nice if you share your comments.
Thanks
Zash
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Cutting O2 contract
Answer
7/24/06 5:41 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
Previously it was possible to cut the contract without any problems if a person was leaving the country by showing the Abmeldung. Reason is, that the companies showed some good faith in the customers. But because of some scumbag foreigners who bought expensive phones on contracts and then left the country made the companies to adjust their business model. So genuine people are to pay the price for some cheats.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/24/06 8:03 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
I don't if it works but he can try to send a letter and ask for a Kulanz. Additionally he can attach all documents necessary to prove that he are leaving Germany forever.
I forgot to cancel my DB card and the contract was automatically renewed. I sent this letter and done. Was accepted.

Mau
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/25/06 1:10 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
Hi
thanks for the replies.
What is a Kulanz?
He already sent them all papers that he is leaving Germany for always but they did not accept. They said he has to pay the rest Grundgebühr and if not, there will be a case in court.
Anyone can add some experience or ideas?
thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/27/06 2:31 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
The maximum o2 can do it put your brother in a black list which may affect his travel to germany in the future. But i doubt they will do that for such a meagre amount. So better ignore them if you dont want to pay the money.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/27/06 10:14 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
Why don't your brother pay the rest of the money?
I think it is clear and fair for both side, right?

You have got the phone so it is your duty to pay the rest.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/27/06 11:44 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
Does not matter if amount is small or big - everything is automated emoticon
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/16/07 6:35 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
I am also in similar situation as I have another 7 months of contract left. I am ready to pay the basic fee, but would like to know what are the documents required (other than Abmeldung) to cancel such a contract and other issue is that I have already left Germany two months back and i have kept my bank account open there and they are deducting the minimum/basic charges from there.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/16/07 6:51 PM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
@wilson77

Since you will have to pay the basic fee whether you leave the country or not, why not cancel it now. You dont need any other paperwork. But will have to pay the basic fee for the remaining of the contract.

Write a letter stating you would like to cancel the contract from the next possible date and sign it and fax it to the o2 customer centre fax number. Do mention your present address in the letter and that the confirmation letter should be sent to your present address. Even if you dont receive any confirmation from them atleast you have the fax receipt which in itself is an aknowledgement of you cancelling the contract and you can have a peaceful mind.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/17/07 1:04 AM as a reply to ziad Ashkar.
@Zash,

Your brother not need to worry provided he has all the documents and can prove that he is leaving/left Germany. dont forget to close your account( you may also instruct the bank to not make any auto transfer).

However, I would suggest everyone to keep insurance to protect yourself in such situations. This cost you as low as 100-200 euros for a year and will cover range of areas to protect you from such petty issues. For sure we are decent people and would not attempt to cheat, but you never know when you get into trap becuase of others mistakes.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott