Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Switching from Private to Public Health Insurance

Toggle
Dear Members,

I am on a lookout for a new Health Insurance for me, my wife and my 6-months old child. My existing insurance is with DKV, but it is a Gruppenversicherung that is designed solely for my present employer. I am about to change my job next month and so this insurance would then stand void.

Given a choice, I would always like to have a Public Insurance and not Private (like DKV). But I am being turned down time and again due to the fact that I had always been under Private Insurance and never Public, since my first day in Germany in 2004 and my salary in the last 3 yrs had been > 48K. Now is it really true? Is it that once you are in Private, you can never walk back to Public? I have gone through similar threads and could find only one success story (courtesy Bies), but I am not sure if my case is similar to it.

I would really appreciate if any one of you kindly give me some ideas on this please. Time is short for me since I have to get into a new insurance by beginning of next month.

Cheers.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Switching from Private to Public Health Insurance
Answer
6/16/08 10:22 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
yes, it is true!
You can go for cheap private insurance package or some private does offer family package.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/17/08 12:37 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
It would be interesting to know which private insurance offers family package ?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/17/08 11:07 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
honestly I don't know.

I remember 4 years ago, the consultant mentioned there is also family package. I wasn't interested at that time.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/20/08 11:56 AM as a reply to Aladdin.
Consultants can tell you many stories so you would sign and they would get their bonus for getting you signed...
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/20/08 12:34 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
@Everybody,

I think I haven't got a clear response to my query. Could anyone please suggest if getting into a Private Insurance is like an "Einbahnstrasse" and you can never switch to Public afterwards. I really need to know this urgently.

@Bies
Could you kindly give me some ideas on how you had done it please... please... please... :-)

Cheers.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/20/08 12:51 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
Yes it is like a oneway road.

-Until and untless you are earning less than 48k/yr for three consecutive years.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/20/08 2:13 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
Hi Vah,

>-Until and untless you are earning less than >48k/yr for three consecutive years.
Can you give me the source/link to this rule?
thanks in advance,
Kalakkal
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/20/08 9:20 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
Hi,
This information was given to me personally from the follwowing two sources:
-My insurer AXA
-AOK

Wehn I was trying to get the insurance of my wife changed from AOK to AXA as she started to earn above this limit.

The rule came out in Early 2007.You can beleive it without a hitch.

VAH
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/21/08 2:40 AM as a reply to Aladdin.
Hi Bies,

are you really so naive?
I wasn't interested at all because:
- we are in different company - taking family package will make the split complicated
- anywhere in the world - especially in germany - there isn't a free lunch - private family package = 2 private insurance + kids (only a little cheaper) I never thought that the package will be the same price public insurance.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/23/08 7:05 PM as a reply to Aladdin.
@VP_2004 - didn't really understand your reply ? Was it reply to one of my posts ?..
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/24/08 12:15 AM as a reply to Aladdin.
yes, in your previous post you wrote consultant can tell you everything to get the contract signed.

My response was what I thought when the consultant said he has family package :-)
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott