Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

renewing aufenhaltserlaubnis - a couple questions

Toggle
 Hello everybody.

After marrying a German national, my aufenhaltserlaubniss was given 3 years.  That period is up at the end of next month, so I have a few questions.

Will I be contacted by my local Ausländerbehörde with an appointment for renewal, or must I contact them to set up this up (call/email/show up in person?)? I've seen some people say they were contacted, but they may have simply had Working Visas, which is naturally under different rules, but I don't know if they would contact just those people, with renewal information.

Is there any sort of requirments or process I should prepare, or documents I should bring with when/if I must go in person for a new card. (would like to save going multiple times, as happened in the begining)

I am an American citizen, and there seems to be possibily slightly different rules compared to some other countries, and that is what is confusing as most forum 'discussions' are from people from other countries. Sometimes it seems the requirements are wildly different, and sometimes it seems people think there is less scrutiny/stringent rules for U.S. spouses.

I have picked a few bits of information from other forums regarding language requirments, though I can't seem to gleem what is fact or not. So my biggest questions are regarding language:

I have advanced beyond an A2 level, though I only have a certificate of A2.  Is it true that B1 is required after 3 years. Suppose I do not have this at the time of my renewal date? Do I then just get a shorter renwal period? (as I seem to have picked up in forum talk, though again, it's mostly other EU people or Eastern people having discussions).  I have also read that as a person holding a Bachelors Degree, that any language requirments are waved, period.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may have regarding these questions, or the renewal process and requirments in General.  Even just hearing some people experiences renewing would be helfpful!

Thank you all,

- Stuart
0 (0 Votes)

RE: renewing aufenhaltserlaubnis - a couple questions
Answer
10/9/14 12:38 PM as a reply to Stuart H Miller.
stumill:
 Hello everybody.

After marrying a German national, my aufenhaltserlaubniss was given 3 years.  That period is up at the end of next month, so I have a few questions.

Will I be contacted by my local Ausländerbehörde with an appointment for renewal, or must I contact them to set up this up (call/email/show up in person?)? I've seen some people say they were contacted, but they may have simply had Working Visas, which is naturally under different rules, but I don't know if they would contact just those people, with renewal information.

The onus of renewal is with the applicant.

Is there any sort of requirments or process I should prepare, or documents I should bring with when/if I must go in person for a new card. (would like to save going multiple times, as happened in the begining)

they will tell you .. All they need to know whether  the relationship is intact.

I am an American citizen, and there seems to be possibily slightly different rules compared to some other countries, and that is what is confusing as most forum 'discussions' are from people from other countries. Sometimes it seems the requirements are wildly different, and sometimes it seems people think there is less scrutiny/stringent rules for U.S. spouses.

no special treatment ..

I have picked a few bits of information from other forums regarding language requirments, though I can't seem to gleem what is fact or not. So my biggest questions are regarding language:

I have advanced beyond an A2 level, though I only have a certificate of A2.  Is it true that B1 is required after 3 years. Suppose I do not have this at the time of my renewal date? Do I then just get a shorter renwal period? (as I seem to have picked up in forum talk, though again, it's mostly other EU people or Eastern people having discussions).  I have also read that as a person holding a Bachelors Degree, that any language requirments are waved, period.

You might have lesser needs to integrate. because u r from USA.   After 3 year you are eligible for PR .. I suppose. In any case u have to appply for renewal.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may have regarding these questions, or the renewal process and requirments in General.  Even just hearing some people experiences renewing would be helfpful!

Thank you all,

- Stuart
0 (0 Votes)

RE: renewing aufenhaltserlaubnis - a couple questions
Answer
10/10/14 1:51 PM as a reply to Wim Hannover.
Thanks for the answers. I didn't necessarily mean special treatment being from the U.S. just that it seems some of the requirments are different (ie: US, Canada, NZ, etc) than being from the EU, and in some cases seems less hardlined than other places outside the EU.

I am sure the quickest way for answers is to contact my local Amt, but reading how people seem to get different answers from different people, on different days, was just wondering what others have learned from their experiences or can offer as advice in advance of my going there. Particulary with the language thing, as I should have just gone in and tried for a B1 certificate by now, but since I haven't wonder how all that will affect me.

In anycase, will be sure to get in contact with them before my time is up, as it seems maybe they do not contact those reaching the point they need to renew in this case.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott