Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

karankversicherung/medical insurance validity across europe/UK

Toggle
Dear All,

i am living and working in germany.
Is it possible to use same medical isurance from Germany in UK? which means i want to continue my German medical insurance while i re-locate to UK for a permanant job in UK. I hold German passport.

Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Re: karankversicherung/medical insurance validity across europe/UK
Answer
12/24/10 2:01 PM as a reply to europe2008 europe2008.
Hi,

in general medical insurance in a EU land is valid in other European countries, however there might be limits to the services or the cost of the treatment, particularly if you are privately insured. You might have to change to a different tariff if you spend more than a certain time abroad.

Do note that medical insurance on the NHS in England is free (well, technically speaking it is covered by your NI contributions). It is possible to get private medical insurance in the UK to get a better service as the NHS can be sometimes unreliable, and most of the times your employer has a group plan for this.

To summarise, standard medical treatment is free in the uk, but if you want a better level of service you will have to go private, and it will probably cost you more to do it in Germany than in the uk. If what you want is to be able to return to your krankenkasse, then you don't have to do anything as the law obliges them to accept you if you have been with them before. As laws change, if you really want to be sure, you can also pay a small monthly fee to keep the right to come back in.

Cheers,
-a
0 (0 Votes)

Re: karankversicherung/medical insurance validity across europe/UK
Answer
12/24/10 4:46 PM as a reply to europe2008 europe2008.
thank you!
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18