Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

German Citizenship for spouse

Toggle
German Citizenship for spouse
Answer
8/11/14 2:31 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know, if one can apply for German citizenship just after her/his spouse receives German passport. Assume they are married for 8 years and have a child and are living in Germany for 7 years.
What conditions must be met by someone whose spouse just received citizenship to be eligible to apply after him/her.

Thanks a lot,
Sara
0 (0 Votes)

RE: German Citizenship for spouse
Answer
8/13/14 2:40 PM as a reply to Sara.
in BW one has to wait at least for 2 years from the day when spouse is neutralized + integration course
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/13/14 3:14 PM as a reply to Sudhir Raina.
Thanks Greentree. 
I read the following paragraph from another post here in Trust7:
One important point: if you don't apply together (miteinbuergern) and you get citizenship first, then she (wife) has  to wait for 2 years before she can apply, because you have to be german citizen for 2 years -

Does anyone know if this is true (with any reliable reference)? If so under what conditions the spouse can apply at the same time?

Bests,
Sara

0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/14/14 10:08 AM as a reply to Sara.
Hallo,

I do not know whether your spouse has already received citizenship/passport yet. It depends on immigration office. If you and your spose are living and working in germany for 7 yrs then actually you both can start german passport application together. It is not necessary that one should get first and then wait and apply aftersome time. I am not an expert though and cannot give you exact references, but you may check this with your local amt for more information.

good luck
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/14/14 11:07 AM as a reply to Bas Brem.
Thanks Basbrem,
The point is that he is not working in Germany right now and I think due to this he can not apply directly. 
As I have done my PhD. in Germany, they told us I can apply after 7 years (means now) and he must wait another year and apply after 8 years. I need to know if there is a rule that he can apply with me now, dependent on my application based on marriage.
He has B1 and Einbuergerungstest and a job out of Germany. 

By the way, I read (at http://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/FAQs/EN/Themen/Migration/Staatsang/Erwerb_der_deutschen_Staatsbuergerschaft_durch_Eingbuergerung_en.html;jsessionid=29BB9E86508E5075F5B38E985D1B5A02.2_cid295?nn=3317066#doc159094bodyText4):

"Foreigners who have successfully completed an integration course are eligible for naturalization after seven years. "

Based on this, if he takes integration course now, he should become eligible to apply right after. Does anyone know if it is true? 

Or does anyone know if it shoud be possible for him to apply dependent on my application now?

Regards,
Sara

0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/14/14 11:53 AM as a reply to Sara.
If your spouse (dependent) is living with you and you are working here in Germany then it should be possible to start the application procedure together. The main thing from the spouse (your husband) should be that he had attended integration course, B1 certificate and EB test certificates then it should be possible i guess. Otherwise he had to do as they mentioned i guess.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: German Citizenship for spouse -> Integration course
Answer
8/15/14 3:21 PM as a reply to Bas Brem.
Thanks Basberm

Could anyone tell me:

- How long the integration course takes and how difficult (regarding the German language level) it is?
Is B1 level enough to follow integration course? Is there a test at the end?

- Also, is it possible for anyone to register for integration course or there are particular requirements to get there and use it?

- Does anyone here have experience of reducing the 8 years requirement for German citizenship to 7 years by providing integration course certificate?

Bests,
Sara
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/16/14 11:28 AM as a reply to Sara.
No, one can't apply immediately just after getting passport but I think one has to wait for atleast two years.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott