Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Freelancing with Blue Card

Toggle
Freelancing with Blue Card
Answer
6/18/14 12:24 PM
Hello! I am working in Berlin on a Blue Card for an IT company. I am on the verge of leaving the company and I have read that usually in such an occassion the Blue Card lasts another 3 months after end of employment. Now, I have an offer to freelance immediately. However, I still have 2 weeks of notice period to finish with my current employer.

- Does my Blue Card allow me to concurrently freelance and work through my notice period?
- Once my employment with the current employment ends, does my Blue Card permit me to freelance for the next 3 months until it expires?
- If my Blue Card doesn't work to freelance, does it help to convert to a "dependant visa" on my husband's Blue Card- will that allow me to freelance?
- If none of the above can be done, what should I do in order to rightfully be able to freelance here on? 

Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Freelancing with Blue Card
Answer
6/18/14 1:56 PM as a reply to Misoni Panam.
mishti:
Hello! I am working in Berlin on a Blue Card for an IT company. I am on the verge of leaving the company and I have read that usually in such an occassion the Blue Card lasts another 3 months after end of employment. Now, I have an offer to freelance immediately. However, I still have 2 weeks of notice period to finish with my current employer.

- Does my Blue Card allow me to concurrently freelance and work through my notice period?
No on Blue Card you are not allowed for freelancing. Even if allowed for freelancing witha PR, one should generally notifiy the current employer ( normally written in the contract)
- Once my employment with the current employment ends, does my Blue Card permit me to freelance for the next 3 months until it expires?
Again NO for freelancing on Blue Card. Your Blue Card experies as soon as the employment with the current employer terminates. 3 months is the time give to search for a new job.
- If my Blue Card doesn't work to freelance, does it help to convert to a "dependant visa" on my husband's Blue Card- will that allow me to freelance?
You can change to "dependent visa" but that doesnot allow you to freelance
- If none of the above can be done, what should I do in order to rightfully be able to freelance here on? 
The only possible solution is to get a PR, for which you need 33 months on Bluecard or 22 Months with B1 certificate

Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/18/14 2:19 PM as a reply to coolguy munich.
Thanks for your quick response. 

By PR, do you mean permanent residence? I have heard of a Freelance visa being employed by my friends; although it doesn't sound appealing since it takes 3 months to come through; but in principle that could be an option, I'm hoping?

Also, with regards to the dependant visa, my husband holds a Blue Card here and by the Blue card laws, the dependant is entitled to work. Is there anything stopping me from freelancing in that case?

Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/19/14 10:46 AM as a reply to Misoni Panam.
m30:
Thanks for your quick response. 

By PR, do you mean permanent residence? I have heard of a Freelance visa being employed by my friends; although it doesn't sound appealing since it takes 3 months to come through; but in principle that could be an option, I'm hoping?
Einem Ausländer kann eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis zur Ausübung einer
selbständigen Tätigkeit erteilt werden, wenn ein wirtschaftliches
Interesses oder ein regionales Bedürfnis besteht.

Don't know how well it suits you. Freelancing visa is given in some exceptional cases like the artists..

Also, with regards to the dependant visa, my husband holds a Blue Card here and by the Blue card laws, the dependant is entitled to work. Is there anything stopping me from freelancing in that case?

As dependent of a blue card holder you are "entitled to work" as an employer and not as freelancer. Try to do freelancing and you will experience who will try to stop you from freelancing. Obviously the Ausländerbehörde.

Thanks!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/19/14 1:11 PM as a reply to coolguy munich.
Thanks for your responses. Good to know (and also, sad).
My company moved me to Germany for the job, and now decided to dissolve my team- and I'm still under the probation period. So, just figuring out my options, which don't seem too many.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott