Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

FAQ and important Links!

discrimination in Kindergarten..help needed

Toggle
Hello
My daughter is in kindergarten i have problems with her kindergarten teacher, I really face the problem of discrimination. I would like to briefly explain what happened and I need help from you all how to handle this problem
  1. My daughter was 2 years 8 month old when she joined in kindergarten. She joined last September, she was crying for the 1 month like any other child. In the 1st month the teacher told me I have to pick her up after 1 hour, I said ok. One day she asked me to come at 11:00 a.m I was just 5 minutes late. She said openly“I cannot come late because it seems she told my daughter that I will come at 11 oclock, if I am late by 5 minutes the trust will be lost.
Frist thing is she is too young to read the time. My question will she ever dare to tell a        german mother like that.

1. Everyday morning my daughter says good morning but she never cares only when says mostly for the 3rd time she responds.
  2. Last month she had birthday, we bought 2 cakes  (big and small)and chocolates,  she shared only the one small cake to all the kids and no choclates. She returned the choclates and cakes to us. The reason she gave was in eltern abend the parents told not to give chocolates but on the very next day my daughter was bringing chocolates because somebody had birthday
  3. Yesterday my kid was wearing indian dress (pattu pavadai) the teacher told me its too long when she go to toilet, she needs help from her. Its really ridiculous because kids of her age in her group, they have to clean and change the pampers. But my daughter is really very independent and bold. I am very afraid that the attitude of the teacher might create some kind of feeling in her.

I am thinking of speaking to the leiter…need some ideas from u all
Thanks a lot
0 (0 Votes)

RE: discrimination in Kindergarten..help needed
Answer
2/20/14 7:04 AM as a reply to Kiruthiga Balusamy.
Hi Nila,

Oh i am so sorry to hear that and even scared as an immigrant whether to even think of living in this country because of such attitudes. That too against a child? It may be a one-off experience in your case but still a very bad one. You have to ensure that either your daughter does not continue in such a place or take an action against the lehrerin. Otherwise it can have a big effect on your daughters self-confidence. 

Regarding coming late, it may well be the case that you should set an example for the child. In that case it is a subjective matter how you see it. Germans love punctuality and they are also very punctual. So in that case the lehrerin might be right.

The second case sounds strange to me and does indeed sound like discrimination, especially when a  small child has to greet her teacher 3 times before she gets a response.
Firstly, it may sound very far fetched, but before you speak with the Leiterin, you have to gather evidence against the teaher. Otherwise it may be dismissed and it would make matters worse. The only way that may seem appropriate is may be via smart phone recording if these things persist...
You can also talk to other immigrant parents if they feel the same way and their kid feels discriminated. It may be a case of personal dislike as well for what ever reason. Either way such an action from the teacher needs to be condemned!!! 

May i ask in which state you are?
May be others have better ideas...

Best of luck.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/20/14 8:15 AM as a reply to Kiruthiga Balusamy.
Hi,

sorry to hear this. In my opinion you may discuss your concern with KG Manager and try to get her group changed within the same KG because it might not be easy to find place in another KG soon and secondly she might have already adjusted herself in present enviornment. Speak with manager alone, in the absesnce of care-taker or your daughter.

Till then at least do not give them reasons to say something by getting late. Ask for a time window rather than specific time. In cold countries (including Germany) especially where days are shorter, people tend to be punctual and they love to show this to forgieners.

Regards
Tony
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/20/14 9:55 AM as a reply to Kiruthiga Balusamy.
@nila

sorry to hear about your experience. I do agree with most of your concerns, however punctuality is the utmost thing. Yes your daughter may not know about exact time, but this particular day the teacher might have another important appointment.

Anyways, coming back to your question, what to do in such a case? If I was in your shoes, i will first make an appointment with the teacher itself and I will tell her straight forward that I also have the option of making an appointment with her Boss but I prefer first to talk to the teacher of my child as I am a firm believer that their is no such thing in this world that cannot be sorted out through positive communication. I will talk about my concerns and I will try to explain her that in our culture it sounds rude not to greet the kids in the first instance and it is also important for her to wear traditional dresses as she should not feel stranger when the next time she is in India to visit her Oma, Opa, Uncle, Aunts and Cousins. If the teacher is also a mother or a woman with kind heart, she will definitely understand your concerns.

My experience of life is, such people when befriended with, they stay as a friend for life.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards, Raj++
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/20/14 7:59 PM as a reply to R V.
thanks a lot for all your replies....i was really happy to see the inputs.....thanks for lifting my moods....
i am currently living in NRW
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18