Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Postdoc visa §18 or §20 ?

Postdoc visa §18 or §20 ?
Answer
1/7/14 11:22 PM
Hello,

I'm currently a non-EU PhD student in Germany in Ba-Wu, I have §16 student visa and I have a TV-L E13/2 (50%). I will get a postdoc position and a contract equivalent to TV-L E13 75% or 100% (31,000 to 41,000 Jahresbrutto).

As far as I understand they can potentially issue me 2 types of visas:

§18 Work wisa: That's the type of visa I'd really prefer. However I heard it is hard to get, the ZAV has to investigate that there are no German/EU citizens available for the job and the payment is commensurate with that of a German/EU citizen. I heard that this can take a long time and may not be issued at the end.

I also heard that if you have a German Uni. degree the ZAV investigation is not necessary, I don't know if that's true.

§20 Research Visa: Much easier than work visa, therefore I believe it is the preferred way to employ non-EU postdocs, I'm afraid the Auslanderbehorde will insist that I get that.

Are there any postdocs among you or somebody with knowledge? What kind of visa do you have? Do you think I can get a work visa?

Thanks for your time and answers,
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18