Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Work from Home

Toggle
Work from Home
Answer
9/2/09 2:58 PM
Since I am moving to the USA (J2visa -dependent of J1) I talked to my company here about my resignation. My german work contract is till December 2009. They gave me an option of working home from USA and raise my work as a bill. I have a meeting with my boss and HR regarding this. Is there any important thing I should ask them? What are the advantages and disadvantages by working from home. I work as a market analyst.
Thanks in advance.

Paddy
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Work from Home
Answer
9/2/09 3:55 PM as a reply to p s.
awaiting for your replies
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 4:25 PM as a reply to p s.
I assume you have got your visa stamped by now. if ja, then congrads. Since you will be working in US, the work and tax regulations applicable will be accroding to the US rules. There i dont think you will get much information in this forum. i dont think i have to mention the adv of working from home, as there are many. Just make a note to include your expenses for working from home(calls to germany, internet etc)in your hourly rate and bill accordingly.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 4:42 PM as a reply to p s.
is it equally good in the eyes of career growth? No the visa is not yet stamped in process.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 4:52 PM as a reply to p s.
It is important to be employed, doesnt matter if you do it sitting in the office or sitting at home. Are you allowed to work with J2?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 4:56 PM as a reply to p s.
yes I am allowed.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 5:11 PM as a reply to p s.
Thats good... good luck for your visa.

The IRS website has detailed information about taxes. when you have time, have a look

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/selfemployed/index.html
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 5:15 PM as a reply to p s.
How you said that you are allowed to work?

For J-2 Visa holders the application for permission to work can only be made after the J-2 visa holder's arrival in the U.S and you need to receive special permission from the USCIS and prove that the money is not needed to support the principal J-1 holder(your husband).

Make sure before you sign any agreement with the German Employer and if you are not able to work they can also sue you which is valid in US.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 5:21 PM as a reply to p s.
Hi,

You can't work on J-2 as soon as you enter into USA. You need to apply and get EAD from USCIS. I heard it takes around 90 days. Again i am not sure if you can freelance on J2-Visa or you should work for some company(from indians) and bill the german company through them. AFAIK freelancing is only possible if you have greencard.

vamsi.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 5:33 PM as a reply to p s.
Thanks Raj. good one
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 5:40 PM as a reply to p s.
raj2001 I know the information you mentioned and told my employee that I can only work when I get the permission after landing. Heard the process was quick.
But Vamsi the info given by you is shocking. Can some one highlight on this issue. Can I freelance in J2 visa? or is there a way my employer can help me? my company has no office at US now. but in Italy it has registered a office in one employers address and he works from home.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 8:21 PM as a reply to p s.
well.. nothing can be certain with USCIS. 90 days is the max it should take, you might get even in 2 weeks if u r lucky.

About italy, since it is in EU its entirely different situation. SO freelancing is still an open question.

As i said u can try to talk to some indian companies there and make some arrangement on comission basis like paying them 10% from your salary. But be carefull with those companies, do it only if you know them well.

where are u going in US anyway?

vamsi.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/09 8:38 PM as a reply to p s.
Vamsi thank you for your suggestions. The situation looks too complicated for me.My company wont agree for this I think. Better to get relived here and search for jobs in Houston(texas).
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott