Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Working holiday visa and Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet

Toggle
Hello team,

I'm here after an exhausting search across cyberspace which has yeilded completely conflicting information. Here is my situation, as clear as I can lay it out. If anyone out there can help bring some clarity to this incredibly ambiguous situation, I'd basically be eternally grateful. So:

* I'm a 28-year old NZ citizen who holds a working holiday permit
* "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet" and "Ferienarbeitsaufenthalt" are printed on the permit, which is valid for 12 months
* I have a tentative job offer with a company, but they can't offer me a permanent position for a couple of months due to budget restrictions. However, they would like me to work (as would I) in the interim on a contract/freelance basis. But I can't freelance on my work permit (OR can I? "
Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet", according to some, allows self-employed work. According to an almost equal number of others, it doesn't.)

Therefore: with my current visa, how can I work for this company, short of applying for a freelance visa (which can take up to three months to process, defeating the purpose entirely).

For instance, one suggestion has been that I need to company to offer me a "pratikum".

Some distinctions would be useful here: what constitutes freelance work? Are you considered a freelancer if you are required to invoice the company you are working for? Is there a legal difference between freelance work, self-employed work, and contract work that is relevant to my situation?

Any thoughts, please. Like I said, I would really appreciate any advice or help that comes from this.
+1 (1 Vote)

RE: Working holiday visa and Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet
Answer
11/7/13 6:10 PM as a reply to Danny Pemberton.
If your visa is issued according to § 18 Abs 3 then Freelancing is allowed I think.  Otherwise they would explicitly mention "Selbstständige Tätigkeit nicht gestattet".  You can check at http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__18.html . It is available in english also.
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Working holiday visa and Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet
Answer
11/7/13 9:13 PM as a reply to Parkin edger.
Hello Parkin,

Thanks for the response. My permit was issued under § 18 Abs 3 and § 78a Abs 1.. but I can't find anything relating to freelance work on that page...
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott