Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Residence permit when doing PhD. : paragraph 16 or 18?

Toggle
My question is what kind of Aufenthaltserlaubnis is given to someone who is doing a PhD. and at the same time has a (part time) work contract with the university as a research assistant (wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter). Should it be ased on paragraph 16 or 18?
It would be great if you share your experience about this.

Thanks.
Sara
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Residence permit when doing PhD. : paragraph 16 or 18?
Answer
10/22/13 2:48 PM as a reply to Sara.
Hi Sara,

you can have either §16 or §18, I would strongly recommend to go for §18 i.e. Arbeitserlaubnis as this time will be 100% counted for your Niederlassungserlaubnis (N.E). Offcourse it comes with a prices i.e. no Semester ticket and no student dormitory.

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S: this is not a legal advice.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/22/13 4:03 PM as a reply to R V.
I am asking this to help a friend with, I myself have already finished my PhD.

The thing is that they always gave me 16 without giving me an option, and recently I heard for PhD students with work contracts it could also be 18.
I know that if they issued 18 for me, I could have some benefits about Niederlasung as well as Elterngeld (which I was not eligible for because I was on 16). This made me a bit angry today!

Does anyone know if it is in all cases possible to get 18, or maybe if your work contract with the university is half time it is different or something?

Any other experiences?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/25/13 8:02 AM as a reply to Sara.
I know alot of PhDs having half-time contracts, they opted for §18 and are happy today. So precisely, it is possible and their should be no issue at all.

Regards, Raj++

P.S: this is not a legal advice.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3