Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Non-EU Spouse

Non-EU Spouse
Respuesta
30/08/10 22:56
Hello. I am an Irish Passport holder living and working in Germany. My wife is from Thailand and currently living there. I would like her to stay with me here.
Is it possible for a Thai Spouse to do this? What Visa do I need to apply for?
In the UK there is an EEA Family Permit which allows a Spouse from any country to settle with their partner if one of them is an EU Citizen. Is this also the case in Germany?
0 (0 Votos)

Re: Non-EU Spouse
Respuesta
31/08/10 1:53 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
Hello Irish Guy,

the answer is yes, under EU law direct family members of EU citizens enjoy freedom of movement and residence throughout the EU. The Embassy should be able to help you with the Formalities.

Cheers,
-a
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
31/08/10 3:12 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
Thanks aalvarez.
Sorry to be a pain. But do you have any further information or web links. The German Embassy in Bangkok are very rude and unhelpful. They do not give advice apparently, merely process applications!
I have read some conflicting information regarding German language requirements. Are these applicable for the Spouse of a EEA citizen working in Germany?
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
31/08/10 13:55 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
Cant you just get her to Ireland first and then to germany? Because getting spouse visa to germany is time consuming especially from Thailand i heard.
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
31/08/10 15:16 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
Unfortunately not Raj. I'm living here so I have to apply for a Visa here. Even if I got her a Visa for Ireland, they're not part of the Schengen Agreement, so I would still have to apply for a Visa for Germany.
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
31/08/10 15:36 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
But since you are an EU citizen, she can just get her visa to Ireland first, which maybe easier and then move into germany as spouse of a EU National. That may save time and unnecessary buerocratic formalities if she has to get a visa for germany directly.
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
31/08/10 15:54 en respuesta a Michael Whitfield.
Ah I understand. I will look at the Irish Visa requirements. But I'm pretty sure I need to be resident there at the time of applying.
0 (0 Votos)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Estrellas: 39
Fecha: 9/03/19
VAK
Estrellas: 124
Fecha: 25/02/18
trust 7
Estrellas: 3
Fecha: 22/01/18
Ame Elliott