Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

trust7 members in your neighborhood

Einbürgerung and get back cancelled Indian Passport

Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Toggle
Hi,

I received a letter stating that my Einbürgerung process is complete and now i have to meet for Sprechstünde within 3 months and get my current passport,few passport photos and money for paying for citizenship process and making German passport.
Now my question is during the sprechstünde i give up my Indian passport tom them and how can i later get my cancelled Indian passport back.Also how can i get German passport unless the Indian embassy cancels and gives a NOC or a surrender certificate.I am asking this because people who get other citizenships can still have their cancelled Indian passport for future reference.

If anyone here who already got German citizenship please let help me with this situation

Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Einbürgerung and get back cancelled Indian Passport
Answer
8/19/13 7:50 AM as a reply to Shreedhar Kumar.
Before surrendering your Indian Passport to German Authority, visit the Indian consulate and apply for surrender certificate at Indian embassy nearest. They ask your Indian passport, letter confirming your german einburgerung and some fees. They cancel your passport and give the surrender certificate. When you go to Rathaus, show them this certficate and cancelled passport. The rathaus will take the certifcate and give back your cancelled Indian passport. 

I did this recently. 
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/13 10:35 AM as a reply to kasturi vamsi.
@Prasad,

1. Can you tell us how long does it took to get the surrender certificate?

2. How much is the fees for surrender certificate.

Thanks
Baba
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/13 2:20 PM as a reply to baba shankar.
OK here's the procedure:

After receiving the letter from German rathaus to pick my Einburgerung i did the following:
Day1:
1. Went to CGI Frankfurt. Applied for Certificate of Renunciation Citizenship with One photograph, application, Passport, letter from rathaus and another application for Miscelleneous services

Renunciation Certificate :115€
Misc. Services: 22€

After 4pm the same day I got my passport with "Cancelled" stamp and Certificate of renunciation

Day2:

Rathaus guy handed my Einburgerung, saw my passport got cancelled so asked for renunciation certificate and I handed over that..So he gave my passport back.

Day22:
Got my Germany Passport, went to apply for OCI with surrender certificate (costs 22€), OCI application etc..

and now waiting for OCI
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/13 4:28 PM as a reply to kasturi vamsi.
Thank you for detailed explanation.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/13 5:49 PM as a reply to baba shankar.
@Prasad: Good info! Did you go through naturalization process in FRA or elsewhere?

Won't it be less complicated to just get a new booklet and surrender it at the time of Einbürgerung? One can just hang on to the older booklets.

Ofcourse, a new booklet is given only in certain circumstances - if PP validity is due to expire, the pages have run out, if machine readable passport is desired etc.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/21/13 7:03 PM as a reply to baba shankar.
bump
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/22/13 7:50 AM as a reply to TS TS.
Naturalization process  was processed in Hessen not FRA. Actually a cancelled passport is of no worth whether to have it with us or with the Authority. This makes more sense only for people who do not want to apply for OCI later and then this cancelled passport could be the only proof that you were an Indian citizen in the past. I had my cancelled passport only for "just in case" reasons...In your case a new booklet would suffice.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/22/13 9:46 PM as a reply to Shreedhar Kumar.
In my knoweldge  different procedures are followed by different Einbürgerungs offices in Germany.

1. This happened to me: I was asked to surrender my Indian passport myself at the embassy, bring them the NOC and take my German nationality.
Advantage
: you may keep the NOC copy and copy of your Indian passport, send it later to Indian embassy and on the basis of it they will issue you OCI. People who have criminal cases pending against them in India will not get NOC and under special provision may be booked immediately by embassy immediately when they reach there for submission of their passports.
Disadvantage: You are for couple of days nationalityless time between surrendering your Indian pasport and getting appointment to submit NOC in Einbürgerungsamt to get German nationality.

2. What happened in case of a friend of mine who lives in different city: He was asked to submit his passport in Einbürgerungsamt. Do not really know if he was submit nationality immediately  but the authority send his passport to Indian embassy for cancellation.
Advantage: If true that nationality is given before passport cancellation, then I find it bad because its perfect way to escape for an Indian criminal.
Disadvantage: Getting OCI without proof of surrender might be tricky because you can not track the NOC easily as you never got it.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/26/13 1:10 PM as a reply to Tony Gill.
@tonygill as mentioned by you with option 2 by which people having criminal records can get passport and escape ciminal proceedings in India.In case of option 2 one has to make a declaration that there is no criminal cases against us and if there is and we hide then they have rights to take back the German citizenship.So i don't think a criminal can escape if he gets German pass without getting a NOC or surrender certificate.
I came to know that in cities like Berlin,Hamburg,Munich etc the German Authority take away the Indian pass and later hand it over to the Indian embassy and before that we get the Einbürgerungsurkunde.
If after getting the citizenship someone makes a criminal case against you then its not a problem but not before getting citizenship.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/2/13 9:30 PM as a reply to Shreedhar Kumar.
Finally i got a letter to collect my Einbürgerungsurkunde and the Beamte took my Indian passport before giving me my Urkunde and she said that my Passport will be send to Indian embassy and they will cancel.
So officially now i am German Citizen but as per the Indian Embassy website its mentioned that i have to Surrender my Indian passport and for which i should pay some money.

In my case the German authority surrendered my passport so what should i do now if i want to apply for OCI in future ?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/3/13 1:49 PM as a reply to Shreedhar Kumar.
I did as prasad mentioned andI was able to retain my passport and get also get Einbürgerungsurkunde.

For those who gave their passports to Beamter, they need to pay passport cancellation fee when they  apply for OCI card or Indian Visa.

Baba
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/17/13 10:57 AM as a reply to kasturi vamsi.
Has anybody done this in MTK /Frankfurt (surrender in indian consulate) ? I have called standesamt eschborn and she  is saying that i need to give passport to them. If i surrender in indian consulate then i will be with "no nationality" until german authorities give me certificate and it is not allowed.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/18/13 12:13 PM as a reply to Jatin Agarwal.
In the CGI Frankfurt, if you apply for passport renunciation certificate in the morning, you get back your passport with "Cancelled" stamp and the certificate by evening. German authority accepts this certificate and will handover the Indian passport immediately.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/7/14 6:30 AM as a reply to kasturi vamsi.
I have called standesamt eschborn and she  is saying that i need to give passport to them. 

Compressed Pc Games
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/24/17 5:38 PM as a reply to kasturi vamsi.
kasturi vamsi:
OK here's the procedure:

After receiving the letter from German rathaus to pick my Einburgerung i did the following:
Day1:
1. Went to CGI Frankfurt. Applied for Certificate of Renunciation Citizenship with One photograph, application, Passport, letter from rathaus and another application for Miscelleneous services

Renunciation Certificate :115€
Misc. Services: 22€

After 4pm the same day I got my passport with "Cancelled" stamp and Certificate of renunciation

Day2:

Rathaus guy handed my Einburgerung, saw my passport got cancelled so asked for renunciation certificate and I handed over that..So he gave my passport back.

Day22:
Got my Germany Passport, went to apply for OCI with surrender certificate (costs 22€), OCI application etc..

and now waiting for OCI

Thanks for the detailed explanation
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3