Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Requirements to apply for Einbürgerung (German Citizenship)

Hi all,

I have been in Germany for 5 years and 9 months. I have done my PhD. in Germany in Computer Science. Currently, I am working since January 2012 and have residence permit under §18.

I went to Rathaus and asked if I can apply for German Citizenship. The guy there told me I need to spend in Germany 8 years and if I had studied in Germany then this could be shortened to 7 years and also said with Einbuergerung test also this could be shortened to 7 years (I am not sure if he meant with both Einburgerung test and studying in Germany it will be shortened to 6 years?).

But when I said I have done my PhD. in Germany, he said PhD. is not considered as studies (only Bachelor or Master are). So I need 8 years.

My Questions are:

1. Was he right about all of that, specially the fact that if I did my Master here in Germany I could get a passport after 7 years but having done my PhD. I need 8 years?

2. The fact that my field (Computer Science: Telecommunication) is in the shortage occupation list, or the amount of the salary (if it is high enough) can not make it shorter than 8 years? 

3. In general, is this 8 year regulation the only rule that makes people eligible to apply for German citizenship or there is any other rules rather than this (except getting married to German people)?

4. Can one apply for German citizenship directly, without getting permannet residency before that?

I will appreciate any useful information regarding my questions.
bests,
Sara

0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3