Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

New Born Baby's Nationality

Toggle
New Born Baby's Nationality
Answer
9/13/11 2:00 PM
Hello All,

We have been gifted with a baby boy last month. Me and my wife are Indian nationals. I am living in Germany since 2003 and got NE last year. My wife joined me last year and has BE visa.

After the birth of our son, we submitted our marriage certificate, birth certificates and translated copies of the same at the hospital. At that time, we were asked to wait for 2 - 3 weeks for baby's birth certificate.

Today, I received an email from the standesamt saying that they have forwarded these certificates to Ausländerbehorde to decide whether child gets German nationality or not.

I called them to inform that we want our son to have Indian nationality and Indian passport. To which they replied that child may have both the nationalities. This is bit confusing, because neither Germany nor India allows citizens to have two passports. and the lady also informed us that we cannot deny German nationality of our son, if given.

To my understanding, I can approach Indian consulate or other official authorities only when I have the birth certificate of our son. and before the birth certificate ABH decides on whether to give our son German nationality or not. This leaves us with no choice at all.

We want our son to have Indian passport and Indian nationality, as we plan to return to India in near future.

Please share with us your suggestions/advices in our case.

Best regards
Rohit
0 (0 Votes)

Re: New Born Baby's Nationality
Answer
9/13/11 2:19 PM as a reply to Rohit kumar.
take the german citizenship and apply for OCI for the kid. I dont see why you stead fast want indian citizenship. Let the kid decide when he is 18 yrs old which one he wants either german or indian.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/13/11 6:46 PM as a reply to Rohit kumar.
You can get Indian Citizenship for your son , if you have not already applied for a German "PASSPORT".
According to german law , you son can possess both.But, as per the Indian law , you are not allowed to have both.
If you get an Indian Passport first and apply for the German Passport later, then you should surrender the Indian passport. As per the Indian law it is illegal to hold both.
With the birth certificate issued , you can very well appy for the indian passport.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/14/11 12:58 PM as a reply to Rohit kumar.
Thanks raj & "metro" for your suggestions. We have not applied for the German passport. I think We don't have any option, at the moment, than to wait for the birth certificate.

Best regards
Rohit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/19/11 4:15 PM as a reply to Rohit kumar.
Hello Again,

Today we got the Birth certificate of our son. Along with this we received certificates for insurance, kindergeld and elterngeld, which we have to submit to their respective offices.

We plan to go for Indian passport for our son and take german visa on it.

My question is - for submitting application and enrolling for insurance, kindergeld and elterngeld do we have to wait till the passport arrives or without passport as well can we go ahead with these applications?

Again looking forward to your suggestions.

Best regards
Rohit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/19/11 4:55 PM as a reply to Rohit kumar.
You dont need the kids passport for any of the activities you mentioned.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott