Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Start Up

Getting kaution back

Toggle
Getting kaution back
Answer
2/7/08 8:35 PM
I rented a room in a 2-zimmer apartment in Frankfurt on October 1, 2007. The contract which I signed was a very simple one. It was a one-page contract, saying that the rent of the room is € 295, and I will pay the kaution amount of 3 months' rent (€ 885), and that I will get my kaution back immediately after leaving the room. It also mentioned that I can leave the room on 3 weeks notice. There wasn't much else mentioned in the contract.

Later on, when I tried to put my name on the mailbox, my room-mate tore it away. Then I found out that he was not the landlord, and that he was living there himself on rent, and then rented one room to me. So, because of fear of getting caught by the landlord, he did not let me put my name on the mailbox.

I then told him on November 1, 2007 that I will leave the room by November 30, 2007. I shifted to another apartment on November 30, 2007. On that day, he wrote on a paper by hand that he would return me the kaution (and €13 which he borrowed from me, making it a total of €898) by December 18, 2007. He and I both signed on that paper. He did not return the amount as promised. Then I called him on January 28, 2007 and asked him about it. He asked for more time, and said he would return it by January 15, 2008. I waited, and called him again on January 15, 2008. This time, he said he would give it to me by January 31, 2008. I further waited, and did not get the money back. I tried calling him on January 31, 2008 again, but he doesn't pick up my call now. I even wrote him an email saying that he should return the money, or I would take legal action, but no response.

Can you please guide me what options do I have and what should I do in this case? I am very stressed about it.

I would be very grateful.

Thanks & Regards!
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Getting kaution back
Answer
2/8/08 12:46 AM as a reply to 333 777.
I pity you. This is not the way to make a legal contract in Germany.

Take legal action. No other way. Better inform the landlord about this problem and this may put more pressure on him.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/9/08 4:50 PM as a reply to 333 777.
:/

Since my German is not that great, how can I find a reasonable lawyer here in Frankfurt, then communicate my case to him? :S

Any help would be highly appreciated!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/11/08 9:43 PM as a reply to 333 777.
http://www.mieterschutzverein-frankfurt.de/

Mieterschutzverein is an organization which helps to protect the rights of tenants. In general they are very helpful and surely you can find some help there. You need to become member of the organization to get professional assistance from them.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/17/08 2:12 PM as a reply to 333 777.
Hi there,
Take a look at http://www.zdeutsch.com/
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK