Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

FAQ and important Links!

Legal aspects on accepting and rejecting an offer

Toggle
Hi All,
I got an offer from a company A. And I accepted it and the company proceeds with my application for a workpermit.
Now I get an offer from company B, which pays me less than company A, but I like it in terms of work esposure and location and other stuff. Now I want to know the consequences of rejecting the offer from Company A. Note that I havent sent them an acceptance in signed form, the offer letter is still with me and havent sent them a signed copy, just that I've accepted on mail.

Thanks in advance!
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Legal aspects on accepting and rejecting an offer
Answer
7/13/09 12:22 PM as a reply to Roopashri Rajasekhar.
If you are have signed the contract and if that contract has any clause like:

- If you dont join the company on XX date, you will pay some penality

or

- The termination notice is not allowed before the start of employement

in both of these cases you must join and then quite the job with designated notice period. If you dont - you risk a legal penality.

If there is nothing like this, you may say them good bye and go with new company.

Tip: Communicate this nicely and properly explaining your reasons with the company you are going to quite after signing contract.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/13/09 12:56 PM as a reply to Roopashri Rajasekhar.
In case they don't have your signature on the contract, you can do whatever you want no matter what's written on the contract, and even if they got a confirmation by e-mail from you. You didn't sign anything yet.

This is my personal interpretation, I could be wrong.

I think you should contact them asap if you're sure that you want less money, and let them know of your decision before they start processing your papers and waste time...
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/13/09 8:58 PM as a reply to Roopashri Rajasekhar.
Legally speaking you could have already entered into a work contract with company A, even if you have accepted the offer only by mail. It is not necessary to have a written contract as long as the terms of the offer are specified and you expressed your agreement. This is no one way street and also to your benefit. “Could have” because the factual circumstances of the case obviously play a role. Do not read too much into a formal contract closure either as there could be room to argue against a contract, too, and thus dissuade company A to take action, if any. Here again the circumstances of the case should be borne in mind. Did they desperately try to hire you after a protracted and costly selection procedure? Also check whether offer A included a penalty clause. Also whether it mentions a “Probezeit”. So informed, think about the right approach should you brake the news to company A.

Rechtsanwalt_Jain@yahoo.de
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/14/09 9:04 AM as a reply to Roopashri Rajasekhar.
Thanks for providing all the possibilities. This is like a unique chances and I have to take chances with it. Have been trying to negotiate with the HR from company A and lets see if it works out. Please provide anything more or better possibilities.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott