Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Visa for wife when husband is on student visa.

Toggle
Greetings everyone!

I am an engineer from India working in a MNC for over 3.5 years. I have chosen to study further in Germany (MSc in Engineering). However, I am married and I want to take my wife with me to Germany. My wife has "Master of Arts - English" degree (don't know if education of spouse matters). I can take care of the expenses (such as housing, insurance etc.) for my wife by myself. I searched the official German visa website but did not find any valueable information about "dependent visa on a student visa". I have following questions with me:

1. Is it allowed for a student to take a dependent (wife) with him to Germany while he is on a student visa?
2. If 1 is yes, then how? What is the visa procedure and what are the pre-requisites? (proof of income? German language requirements? etc.)
3. If 1 is no, what are the alternate options? (I don't want to stay away from my wife for 2 years :-( )
4. Can my wife work while she is in Germany (while I am on student visa)? If yes, are there are restrictions on working? (for example, similar those present for student visa)

Can some one please help me out?

Thanks in advance.
ENGINEMK
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Visa for wife when husband is on student visa.
Answer
6/6/11 3:57 PM as a reply to M K.
It shouldn't be a problem if you document your case well. You need to show your financial credibility and then your case will be forwarded to the city you intend to study/live. If they approve, your wife should be in without any trouble. If they disapprove, then your wife's visa will be refused.

I would recommend that you speak with your study coordinator that you intened to come with your wife and let them recommend your case at the local office. Your university will do that if you request them!!! or else the easiest way is that your wife applies to a university to study in Germany. Once she is immatriculated here in Germany, you can change your visa status.

Once upon a time(12 years before!!), i did the same(speaking with study coordinator) to bring my wife in to Germany. but those days, no one came to study here and we were one of the first generation students from Asia. The visa regulations are very tough now but if you go through in a clever way, then the whole procedure becomes simple. You are a qualified guy!! Germany need young engineers and why shouldnt they take your family!!??

Wish you good luck!!

Rajesh
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/7/11 11:27 AM as a reply to M K.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/7/11 11:30 AM as a reply to M K.
Thank you very much for your reply Rajesh! I will be sure to speak to my study co-ordinator as you have suggested.

However, I am still curious about what type of visa my wife would require (non-study) and the pre-requisites for the same (German language proficiency?). Also, would my wife be able to work? (restrictions?) If you have any idea about these please share your thoughts!

Once again, thanks for your prompt response!

Thanks in advance.
ENGINEMK
0 (0 Votes)

RE: Visa for wife when husband is on student visa.
Answer
1/3/17 3:49 PM as a reply to M K.
Hello,

I am currently in the same situation as you were.

could you please let me know if you were successful in getting a dependent visa for your wife while you were a student ?

Regards,
Shashi
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3