Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

What next after 5-year PhD?

Toggle
What next after 5-year PhD?
Answer
1/2/07 2:23 PM
Hi All,

I'm a newcomer here, but had monitored this forum for quite some times.

I have questions, that I found no clear explanation in old threads.

Firstly, my background. I am a PhD student in an university and working fulltime as wiss. mitarbeiter. In the middle of this year my 5-year contract will be finished, but I still need few months to finish my dissertation. In that time I plan to have no work at all to concentrate to my writting. During my 5-year contract with univ. as wiss. mitarbeiter, I get Aufenthaltserlaubnis as a PhD student, but every month I pay pension, social and other insurance payment like other people working in Germany. Until at the end of my contract it means that I have paid all those payments for 60 months.

I have two questions:
1. Do I have right to claim for Arbeitlosgeld from the Arbeitsamt during the time I don't work?

2. Should I tell health insurance company that I have no job after my contract ends, and what does my situation effect the payment I have to pay for the health insurance?

Thanks a million for your help!

best
mimomod
0 (0 Votes)

Re: What next after 5-year PhD?
Answer
1/2/07 6:27 PM as a reply to Samuel Setiyanto.
you should start from the beginning.
first question is will you have visa after 5 years or lets say how to extend visa after 5 years. If your visa ends and you still do not have title than you can not get 1 year job search visa. than you have to leave De.
so you need to extend visa and to do it you need extension of Vertrag as Wiss. M.
otherwise you are in big problems.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/2/07 6:55 PM as a reply to Samuel Setiyanto.
Thanks DvD for your response,

For the extension of my residence permit, it will be no problem since I am still registered as a student (PhD student, promotion) at least until next 1 year after my contract ends.

So, any more information for my two questions?

best
mimomod
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/3/07 6:54 PM as a reply to Samuel Setiyanto.
1. depends on your visa. if it is student visa=>no ALG
2. you have to pay HIns yourself
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/3/07 8:16 PM as a reply to Samuel Setiyanto.
Hello Mimomod,
Contact Arbeitsamt regarding ALG, depends what is exactly written on your visa. Try to procure a small time job (for eg. 37 - 40 hrs per month) at your dept, so that it can take care of your hIns.

Cheers
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/3/07 10:56 PM as a reply to Samuel Setiyanto.
You next question should be, that I also want to know:
Would you have to pass through “Job Market Search” if I get a job offer from a certain company ?
You already have 5 years employment.
If you get a job contract, you should be directly able to apply for a NE. or ?
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott