Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Start Up

Driving License Queries

Toggle
Driving License Queries
Answer
7/26/05 4:33 PM
Dear All,

I have come from India to work in one of the Automobile cos. in Germany.
I have a couple of queries regards the German driving License(GDL).

1.My Indian driving license is valid for 6 months only ,after which i can either apply for an extension , apply for a conversion to GDL or apply for a fresh GDL. so , if I apply for extension ,how long will it be extended to? what if I need to further extend my stay here ? Will there be any penalty for that? Any idea of the costs involved ?
2.If I apply for a conversion, how long will it take? how much money? Will they keep back my Indian DL?

Please guide.

Regards,
Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Driving License Queries
Answer
7/26/05 5:14 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi Savera,

Point1 - You can apply for a conversion to GDL. GDL is valid for life. Cost for conversion will be around 600Euros not including the transalation of indian license into german language.
Point2 - Depends on luck you can have it done in one - one and half month at the minimum. You have to hand over the Indian license before they give you the GDL. But when you are visiting to India you can get back the Indian license(but ofcourse you have to hand in the GDL for that time). There are cases where one was allowed to retain both the license. But you need special permission for this.
Good luck

Rajesh
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/05 5:16 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi Savera,
As far as I know all international driving licenses are only valid for 6 months in Germany.
There is nothing called an extension.
Conversion of DL depends on the country, for example it is simple for USA, Canada..where they need not take any tests.But, in your case you will have to take both theory and practical tests.Only difference for you between conversion and a new GDL is that when you make conversion you will be exempted from attening the minimum required classes in a fahrschule.
They won't retain your country DL.
If they get you driving without a DL the penalty is 3000-5000€ and I think you cannot apply for a GDL for next 3 years.
-metro
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/26/05 5:26 PM as a reply to S R.
Dear Rajesh,

Thanks a ton for the prompt response.
In addition to the above, few people have suggested me to go for an extension of the validity of the Indian DL , which they say can be extended upto 12 months , in case you are sure that ur stay is not going to be beyond that time.
My problem is that most likely , my stay will indeed be extended for more than a year. so , will there be any penalty for me in case ,i again apply after this one year extension of Indian DL validity?

Also ,If I have to come to Germany again after 2-3 months, can i again drive for 6 months on my Indian DL or then, I have to necessarily take the German DL?

Please advise,
Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/19/05 3:57 PM as a reply to S R.
Dear Rajesh, Dear Metro, Dear All,

Thanks a ton for your responses !

Regards my DL, I have got my Indian DL extended at the Landratsamt's office for a fee of 30 euros, as I knew that I had to be back by the year end.

However, recently there have been some other developments at my work front and I now I am being asked to stay for may be a couple of years more.

What do I do now with my DL. Should I go and apply for a German Driving license now ? Will there be any penalties because i got it extended and now asking for conversion ?

I'll likely be back to india by christmas time for vacations . When I come back, will I be able to drive for 6 months on my Indian DL again?

Please suggest.
Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/19/05 8:04 PM as a reply to S R.
Dear Savera,

I am curious to know how u got the Licence extended? whats the period of extension u have got !! If u hav egot it u hav ebeen extreeeemly glucklish !!!

Well as far as my exp tells me, ur licence is valid only for six months begining the date of ur anmeldung.

Even if u travel to India to return and do a second anmenldung this will not entitleu to drive for next six months ...ur first anmenldung is waht will be considered.

however Ican offer u a little tip. Get an international D Permit fro India from where ur licence was issued that gives u a validity wriiten on the IDP sometimes three months sometines three yrs.

Else safest way is join a driving school in Germany get a German DLit will cost u around thousand bucks, u can get a refund from tax returns on this too ..in Germany of course.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/05 1:11 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi GCK2005,

Thanks for your response !

As I had stated earlier, i had got my Indian DL extended in the Landratsamt office for a period of another 6 months, when i show them a letter from my current employer that I am to return to India at the end of this period.

But As I understand from your reply that now If I have to overstay this extended period , then I have to get a german DL or apply for conversion of Indian DL to German DL. Do you have any idea whether, i have to incur any fine/penalty if i apply for a german DL or apply for conversion of Indian DL to German DL now?

I appreciate all your help.

Regards,
Sumit
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/05 4:11 PM as a reply to S R.
-->As I had stated earlier, i had got my Indian DL extended in the Landratsamt office for a period of another 6 months, when i show them a letter from my current employer that I am to return to India at the end of this period.

I am still at a loss to understand where the amt has mentioned that ur license is extended ?

Because they cannot enter that in the passport, Neither can they enter in the Indian Driving licence. Nor do u have any records with FSstelle.

When we say indian Licence is valid for six months it means u can drive the vehicle in Germany and Europe for Six months just by holding Indian Licence. So my question to you is where has the Amt written that your licence is valid for six months more !!

--> But As I understand from your reply that now If I have to overstay this extended period , then I have to get a german DL or apply for conversion of Indian DL to German DL. Do you have any idea whether, i have to incur any fine/penalty if i apply for a german DL or apply for conversion of Indian DL to German DL now?

PLease note there is NO exchange of Indian licence with a German Licence.By holding the indian licence you are exempted from the theory classes.

You still have to do the following :

--Firstaid course ( ca 20 bucks)
--Eye test ( ca 6 bucks)
--Theory test (u can take it in English or spanish or polisch which ever u are conversant in !) Cost will include material ( 100 Bucks ) and test appearence charge )
--Practical test.

U will need to register with the driving school.

The license will cost you about 1500 buck all inclusive ( MWst 16 % also!! )and about three months do it before winter sets in !!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/21/05 4:21 PM as a reply to S R.
A quick addition on fines ..if u are caught driving an invalid licence, Then the base fine will also include that you cannot apply for a German DL for a period of two months..not to mention the financial drain which no insurance company will come to ur rescue.

A stich intime saves 9,in this case 90 !!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/05 12:53 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi GCK2005,

Yes, you are right. They could have not entered any details in my passsport or my Indian DL.

The extension details are provided by means of a letter from Landratsamt office and is done for the period of my stay as mentioned in the letter given by my co. here!

But My primary question was, that now when i have this extension, if I go and apply for a german DL...will they charge any penalties ?

Also, as I had learnt from some colleagues that I can apply for a conversion of indian DL to german DL, but they might keep my Indian DL with them. Is it true ? Is there anyway i can retain both ?

Please suggest.
Thanks in adance,

Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/05 2:31 PM as a reply to S R.
But My primary question was, that now when i have this extension, if I go and apply for a german DL...will they charge any penalties ?

--> No,Since u are in Possesion of a letter from the authorites suggesting extension. also carry this letter ALWAYS while driving.

Also, as I had learnt from some colleagues that I can apply for a conversion of indian DL to german DL, but they might keep my Indian DL with them. Is it true ? Is there anyway i can retain both ?

--> As mentioned earlier There is no EXCHANGE of Indian licence to GErman.

If you go thru the normal process that includes undergoing compulsory Theory clasess then NO your Indian Licence will not be held back. this is because u ar enot taking ANY advantage of having a IDL

But if you do not take the theory classses yes then ur IDL will be withheld. you will get it back if u surrender ur GDL on ur return to India.

Dear frienf, please donot allow delay to repplies in this forum. Please ask ASAP, Reply ASAP. Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/23/05 7:18 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi GCK2005,

Thanks a ton for your prompt response.
Have a nice weekend.

Thanks and Regards,
Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/26/05 8:49 PM as a reply to S R.
I have valid India Driving Licence from Faridabad-
RTO but there is no date of issue in the licence. I need to convert into singapore licence as I am working and Permenant Resident in Singapore. I need to have my date of issue to obtain my singapore driving licence. Please advice me how to obtain it as soon as possible as I need it for my work purpose as I need to drive to my work site. Thank you for your kind anticipation towards this matter.

Yours Truly,
Baskaran.G
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/26/05 9:02 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi Savera ,
I have been reading your posts and it seems you r really lost in this new country .I have this link ..there is a pdf ...do download it ..it will answere many of your questions .

http://www.handbuch-deutschland.de/index_en.html.
hope this is helpful.

Regards
Stier
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/27/05 1:16 PM as a reply to S R.
Hello Mr.Baskaran,
Are you sure about being in the right forum??? If you want to convert your indian license to singapore license then ask the respective RTO in singapore and not in germany.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/2/05 6:06 PM as a reply to S R.
Hi Stier,

Many thanks for the link.
Though I have not read the full book , but it looks like I'll find out answers of many questions in there.

Thanks once again,

Regards
Savera
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/19/11 1:37 PM as a reply to S R.
i have moved from spain to germany in december.but i have indian licence which is valid till 2016.i want to change my licence to german licence,what i have to do?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
5/9/12 4:20 AM as a reply to S R.
I have Indian IDP and DL both valid, but IDP valid till 2013 December.
I have been in Germany from Sept'11 now its May'12.
Its been 8 months I'm in Germany.
Can I still drive car in Germany? till my validity of IDP ends?
I'm here in Germany till December 2013.
Actually I'm studying here.

If not, then should I transfer my Indian DL to German DL?
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott