Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Indian passport for my kid

Toggle
Indian passport for my kid
Answer
10/22/10 2:22 AM
Hi,

I am living and working in Germany since 2002. I hold an Indian passport and so does my wife and elder kid. My 2nd kid is born just 2 months back and now has german passport (kinderreisepass). What should be my next steps to get Indian passport (in parallel if it is possible at all for kids)? If parallel passport (or should i say dual citizenship?!?) is not an option, what other options does one have in such situation??

I called the Indian Consulate in Munich today and they were not so friendly and not clear about the next steps -emoticon They first said, it's not possible to apply for Indian passport as my kid already has german passport. Then they said, may be I should go for OCI card option for my kid and after some thought they said, have a look at the internet site and do the required. Just funny -emoticon

Any help from you guys in this regard would be great.

Regards,
Fargo
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Indian passport for my kid
Answer
10/22/10 12:51 PM as a reply to fargo gagoi.
Congratulations! I wish the newborn all the best.

The child will be eligible for PIO(Person of Indian Origin) and not OCI(Overseas Citizen of India) as both the parents are still Indian citizens.

This will not be a dual citizenship but rather would give the holder of this document visa free travel and stay in India up to 6 months without registering. For more details see here: http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf or http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

The concept of dual citizenship does not exist for such cases as neither India nor Germany (except for EU citizens) recognizes the concept of dual citizenship.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott