Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Tax on gift

Toggle
Tax on gift
Answer
2/20/05 5:21 PM
Hi all,
I am working in Germany and am a GCler. My brother is in US and he is sending me some money as gift. I wanted to know if I need to pay tax for such money I receive? Can anyone throw light on this?

I am getting this gift in form of check.

Thank you,
Raj Soman
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Tax on gift
Answer
2/21/05 1:10 PM as a reply to Raj Soman.
Not AFAIK, I sometimes receive money from my brother from Italy and I pay nor declare anything on that.

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/22/05 11:01 AM as a reply to Raj Soman.
Hey,

You dont need to pay tax if it is a gift.If you are a student you can also be redeemed of tax if you declare it is for educational purposes.
But,i guess your brother has to declare it as a gift at the time of sending it so that you wont have any complications here.

wishes,
Ravi.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/22/05 11:05 AM as a reply to Raj Soman.
I recd a winter jacket from the US as a gift and was taxed by customs a flat 15 % or something..You are not taxed if something comes from EU as a gift. I do not know about money you better you check it out !!!

Regards.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/23/05 5:49 AM as a reply to Raj Soman.
"I recd a winter jacket from the US as a gift and was taxed by customs a flat 15 % or something.."

there is a difference between customs and tax authorities. customs is on the border, they can turn a shipment back - it will be then your problem to prove that they were not right. therefore they can demand a payment in any case when they want it and you can try to get your money back later. if it's a jacket you most surely will not succeed in such case because the courts of law can turn your claim down even if you are right when it's worth - for example - something like 30 USD.

In Germany, the good thing is that customs normally lets the shipment cross the border (talk about "nasty Germans" emoticon ) and then sends you an invoice - so that you can claim and pay nothing emoticon

tax authorities in any case do not have such a possibility that customs does. if you are employed, your employer pays taxes, if you are self-employed - the taxes are calculated on the basis of your last years' declaration. any differences are calculated when the year - in terms of accounting - is closed; so they can not demand from you "here and now or ..." like customs can
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/23/05 11:08 AM as a reply to Raj Soman.
Hi all,
Thank you very much for replies...He is sending me that money as a "gift" and now I am not worried so as to pay tax on it emoticon

Thanks,
Raj
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
2/23/05 11:16 AM as a reply to Raj Soman.
Hi,
thanks for the info !!! never knew about all this. But surprisingly I got a custom bill after one month and that also from the courier service provider. I did pay the bill but felt that atleast I should have been informed before hand about the applicable custom duty !!!

Amol.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18