Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

OCI or PIO?

OCI or PIO?
Answer
8/12/09 6:05 PM
Hi,

I'll getting the German citizenship in the first week of September after which I'll lose my Indian citizenship. My confusion is over the difference between OCI and PIO. Am I eligible for either and can choose or how does it work? Can someone kindly explain in detail the differences/advantages of either please?
0 (0 Votes)

Re: OCI or PIO?
Answer
8/12/09 6:18 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
You are eligible for both.

PIO card is valid for 15 years. In effect it is a Visa for 15 years.

OCI has no limit. It gives you all rights except to vote in the elections.

So OCI is better.

A google search would have given you all needed info.

Here is a comparison

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/12/09 7:50 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
Thanks for that. Strange that OCI is cheaper than the PIO although it's apparently better.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/13/09 4:06 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
Hi,

consider after some one(Indian) took German citizenship :

1. is it possible to get back Indian citizenship(aftre 1 - 2 yrs)?
2. if yes Indian Government will issue passport immediately or after 7 years countinues stay in India?

Thank you
Srinivas
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/13/09 5:46 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
@sinu78

It won't be possible to get the Indian Citizenship after 1 or 2 years. If you have an OCI card, you can apply for it after 5 years. Otherwise I think it's 7 years.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/13/09 6:18 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
it means once if some one take German citizenship (he will loose Indian citizenship) after few years eventough if he dont want German citizenship he should wait 5 or 7 years to get back his Indian citizenship right??

thank you
Sinu
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/16/09 9:37 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
I am sure you would have thought about the following before applying for German citizenship. As an Indian, I am getting following thoughts. Would be great to know your view on how you plan to tackle them.

1. You have contributed to the social security system in Germany for about 8 years. If you take the German citizenship, you can claim that only as pension after the age of 65. The other option is to leave Germany and get the whole amount after 2 years. This can be a huge sum.

2. How did you manage to crack the German test? Please share your experiences.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/17/09 11:45 AM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
@ vebalu

Hi!

I´m not really sure about this, but you don´t get back the whole sum when you leave germany.
You just get back the part you contributed.
As opposed to a pension for life (which includes the company and any Staat contribution + your part)if you stay back.

Right?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/17/09 11:06 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
Hi,

If I am informed correct, after paying 5 years pension full time(=60months), you would not get it back even after waiting for 2 year after you leave country. You will get only at pension age independent of where one live. Definately it will be less amount as 5 years is not much in that regards. Ofcourse, one should at that age consult Germany to get that money.

So the boundary is 60 months to decide.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-RK
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/18/09 12:21 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
RK - you don't seem to be confident about your source of info. why should we rely on it then?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/18/09 2:16 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
t7user..

This forum is for free and no professional advice is provided. Despite the fact that everyone contributes with best of their knowledge, you should be the best person to judge whether to rely on it completely or not. You can be 100% sure if you go to a professional.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/18/09 5:50 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
Hi Stutt23,you are right. No doubt in that.
I am not worried about profesional or non professional advice.
My point was, if one is not sure about the info he/she has received and wants to publish, then what value does it bring to others?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/19/09 10:12 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
Hi,

I learned the information from corresponding officer in my location. But as you might know that, though the rules are same all over Germany in the law/books the treatement of them depends on the individual who is handling them!! So, I used the word "I am not sure"!!

Hope it is clear now and leads to less confusion.

If you need exact information, please be adviced that you consult your local officer for the details.

Thank you,
-RK
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
8/20/09 12:00 PM as a reply to Joshua SJ.
@RK , thanks.
Good that we know now why you were unsure of the info, one can now use the info on its merit or demerit.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott