Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Salary raise

Toggle
Salary raise
Answer
10/29/04 3:26 PM
Hi there!

I'm a GC holder and work since 2001 February. I speak and write german language on an a middle II level.
I know, there is 1 thing which german people don't like to talk about: salaries.
I am going to prolong my work contract and thinking on to ask for a raise. It looks like my company wants to keep me...

:o))
But the problem is, I don't know how much should I ask.
Currently I get 3k per month net (class 3), have family but only one who earns.
Is a 30% net raise realistic? Should I also ask for an unlimited contract? And what about the "Außertariflich" condition?

Do I have chances to get it? Currently I am in a IG Metall 7.2 category. I have heard, it is better paid, although more

work is needed (which is absolutely no problem, I know I work anyway more than they do ... no complain from my side, I

loike my job)
I know, I will never get the same money as germans do, but I would at least approach their level. Will this request to

salary raise decrease my chance to renew the contract?
I would appreciate any comment/advice, specially from german people or those who already done it.

Thanks in advance and take care.
Viele Grüße,
BS
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Salary raise
Answer
10/29/04 4:13 PM as a reply to N Gene.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you stupid you are getting very hansome salary this time. people here are just looking jobs and you are saying you want more higher salary ! IT people are here more than 1 years without job.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 4:27 PM as a reply to N Gene.
Hi BigSo,

Your salary is really good. emoticon A few days ago I've descussed the same question with my employer. It is a market, you want to sell they want to buy. On my opinion you shouldn't hasitate because it is just a question. As for my situation I ask for 50% increase and they give me 20%.
You wrote "I know, I will never get the same money as germans do"
that is wrong. Your salary is much bigger then average in the markt.

Hope it will help you.

MfG
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 5:18 PM as a reply to N Gene.
Hi again,
I only know, I work hard and reliable. Since "Bayern" salaries are generaly higher than in other regions, it's understandable why my income is also a bit over country-average value. But there is much more to tell about daily and regular living costs which are also higher as in other territories. What do you say about 700EUR monthly "Kaltmiete" for 52qm 2 room ap. on the München side? o(
I'm am pretty sure that my german colleagues earn more, it's a big company. Otherwise they couldn't afford such cars and often so long and expensive holiday, which I cannot. Ok, maybe I could as well, but not so often and then lefts nothing. :o(
Anyway,thanks for all of you. I think I will first ask my boss if he thinks that I deserve more or not (I'll let him a little bit sensibilize). And then I will ask for 30%, because I know my boss, he is not the man you can negotiate much with. But he could accept my request if I give acceptable reasons, he's a "netter Kerl". ;o)
I wish you all at least a salary as mine ;o)))
and take care
BS
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 5:26 PM as a reply to N Gene.
"What do you say about 700EUR monthly "Kaltmiete" for 52qm 2 room ap. on the München side? o(", I paid the same for a 2 bed rooms appartment in Mainz, back in the days :-)

"Otherwise they couldn't afford such cars", there's something called "Credit" in this world and with a good one, a good work and a good time to live here, you too can afford that.
"and often so long and expensive holiday, which I cannot", same thing as above, credits and sometimes saving. You know that sometimes, we planned to go on holidays at a certain place just weeks or 1 or 2 months before? Some people decide that a year before and start saving for that special occasion, and in that case, they can afford that.

Just some words dropped...

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 5:28 PM as a reply to N Gene.
"Is a 30% net raise realistic?"

I would say to be realistic as for 5% increase each year, which means from 2001 till 2004 it is more than 3 years so ask for 15 to 20% increase because this in my company I get each year 5% raise in salary according to my contract.

cheers!
Nitin
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 5:47 PM as a reply to N Gene.
What do you say about 700EUR monthly "Kaltmiete" for 52qm 2 room ap. on the München side?
--------
yes, it is ok according to your salary. if you take small town then your room rent is high because there salaries are less compared to yours.

I'm am pretty sure that my german colleagues earn more, it's a big company
-------------
I don't think this is the case, usually they earn almost similar to yours. For a businessman it does not matter from where the employee comes from when it comes to money.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 6:39 PM as a reply to N Gene.
It's going to be interesting, I like it emoticon

of course I know about loans, but could YOU get it on long-term? Me, I cannot not, since my PR is limited. And I do know, none of my colleagues have took it for a holiday. As for cars, it's endeed a piece-of-cake, when your income nice enough is (I start to write in german stile, "nachgestellt"... emoticon). However, in case of a 400k loan for family house for 20 years my colleague's income is also on limit (he told me, might not be real...).
Anyhow, I hope will get more, even if not as much as 30%. I'll sleep on and tomorrow reconsider it.

Thanks anyway, have a nice week-end and see (read) you
BS
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/29/04 9:45 PM as a reply to N Gene.
"ask a resonable question" will never offend anyone. I don't think your boss will terminate your contract bcos of a question which sounds reasonable enough, anyway the money is not from his pocket, is it? Usually the company automatically increases your salary 3%-5% each year according to the market inflation rate. Go ahead to check it with your online manager.
I notice that you keep complaining you have less money than your colleagues do. Come on man, be realistic, no matter how much your colleagues earn, it really has nothing to do with you. Michael Schumacher earns much more than yours, what can you do about it? I guess your earning is abt 70-80K a year (14 months salary + 1.5 month bonus), aynway it is a good salary which allows you to buy a car or something else which is luxury. I guess you can have at least 1000 euro saving in your pocket each month. So what kind of spending you are expecting? Sorry for my bloody straightforward opinion.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/30/04 4:10 PM as a reply to N Gene.
Your salary is quite high - it is on the level of a department manager. I have couple of colleagues here - engineers with university and I know how much they earn. I think your earning is slightly above the average. The salary you would like to have is.... well, also posslible but you must be damn good in your profession or you are a department manager. Then I would say go for it.

James
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/31/04 4:44 PM as a reply to N Gene.
I am sorry to disturb ur coversation.
But I would to like to tell more about me.
My comapny is paying me 1600 euros per month The rent of room & transportation is taken care by company.
I dont know whether it is less or more becoz this is offer from comapny.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/1/04 6:03 PM as a reply to N Gene.
http://www.computerwoche.de/index.cfm?type=detail&artid=66108&category=44&Pageid=257

James
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18