Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Integration

Facts about India

Toggle
Facts about India
Answer
7/22/04 6:37 PM
Some facts about India...

India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.

India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.

The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700BC.
More than 10,500 students from all over the world studies more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is
the most suitable language for computer software - a report in
Forbes magazine, July 1987.

Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans.
Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years
ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our
civilization.

Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of
development, India was the richest country on earth until the
time of British invasion in the early 17th Century.

The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago.
The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.

Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century)365.258756484 days.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic
equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest
numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10 to the power of (53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10**12(10 to the power of 12).

According to the Gemological Institute of America, up until 1896,
India was the only source for diamonds to the world.

USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion
in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless
communication was Prof. Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.

The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.

According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150 CE a beautiful lake
called 'Sudarshana' was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.

Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.

Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health
scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like
cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones
and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia
was well known in ancient India. Over 125 surgical equipment
were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology,
embryology, Digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is
also found in many texts.

When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000
years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley
(Indus Valley Civilization)

The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.

QUOTES ABOUT INDIA

Albert Einstein said : We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us
how to count, without which no worth while scientific discovery
could have been made.

Mark Twain said : India is, the cradle of the human race, the
birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most structural materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said : If there is one place on
the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found
a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream
of existence, it is India.

Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said : India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.

All the above is just the TIP of the iceberg, the list could be
endless.

BUT, if we don't see even a glimpse of that great India in the
India that we see today, it clearly means that we are not working
up to our potential and that if we do, we could once again be an
ever shining and inspiring country setting a right path for rest
of the world to follow.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Facts about India
Answer
7/22/04 6:46 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
Hallo vsrikanth9

Do you expect "Cool Dude" to understand all these? I think he knows India more than anyone, in just one visit!! :-)

We have spend many years in India, but we knew little or nothing., but "Cool Dude" knows more.

Cool Dude - Btw I am not an Indian.

Stay Cool. Desmond
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/22/04 6:58 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
"When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000
years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley
(Indus Valley Civilization)"

do you know something about Sarasvati river civilisation, some 8000 years old.
that is even older then Harappa.

I heard they found Sarasvati river bed with satelite images and they are planning to dig ti and explore it.

btw Sarasvati is river that is held for legend for long time because it is mentioned in Vedas.
now seems there was really Sarasvati river

btw experts think that this Sarasvati later changed route and it is Sindhu or Hindhu now
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/22/04 7:20 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
Mind you, no reference to cricket, mangos or Vindaloo curry and Peshwari Nan made it into the list. This is also a great contribution, and I mean it. Not to mention Satyajit Ray and the great movie tradition, some of the greatest movies ever were made in India.

You know what? Is good to refresh the memory on the role of Indian in the world culture. Lately, India has been so much associated with IT, IT, IT; is very important to remember that India is way, way more than that.

As you may know, I am from South America, from Uruguay. We neved invaded a country, that's for sure, though we seriously consider anhiliating Buenos Aires every now and then (just kidding!). Our native population was graciously exterminated by the Spanish conqueror, and the only thing we can boast is two Football World championships, the last one more than 50 years ago. We even lost with Brazil last night by penalty kicks the semifinal of the America Cup. Ach soooo....

The best quote I can recall about Uruguay is Homer Simpson saying "funny country... U-R-Gay.... hehehehehe".

And the thing I am most proud of being Uruguayan is... that we do not take ourselves too seriously.

Cheers,

Diego aka Sudaca.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/22/04 7:35 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
Hi All,

First of all i would like to thank DvD , vsrikanth9, DuPAc and Desmond for coming up strongly for not only Indians, but for all the other third world nations that are not as well off as the west.

If 'Cool Dude' can talk so talk so negatively about India, don't know what he will say about our poor African neighbours. Hope he nevers makes another one of his egoistic trip to that continent. It will be more cannon fodder for his boring life.

Maybe SudSud is right about stopping this topic going further. I think Cool Dude has achieved his ambition of being in the limelight ;-).

Hmm. I am a little jealous about SudSud. If only everyone can be as cool as him there would be no problems and our planet would be a better place.

Live and Let Live with Honour

Raj
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/23/04 1:38 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
that was cute srikanth! after all you did right in sharing your culture with your GC colleagues where some does not know about it.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/23/04 1:39 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
Hi Sudaca,
Talking about football, Is there a way to get to see these matches here in Germany. ?

regards
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/23/04 5:01 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
Peace!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/24/04 11:02 AM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
I am a foreigner from the EU. Since a few weeks I am a German citizen. And I am a member of the union.

-----------

Lieber Indian Summer!

Sicher stimmt was Sie schreiben und ich finde es auch sehr interessant, aber bitte nicht in diesem Forum. Sie wissen doch genau, dass Sie mit solchen Informationen Gegenmeinungen provozieren und ganz schnell haben wir dann hier eine Auseinandersetzung, die hier nicht herpasst.

Ich will die Problematik nicht leugnen oder verdrängen, ich will sie einfach nicht in diesem Forum, dessen Qualität auch darin besteht, dass sich Menschen aus sehr vielen verschiedenen Nationen gegenseitig kennen- und verstehen lernen, sich auch kritisieren, aber in erster Linie helfen.

Diese Grundsatzdiskussionen können Sie doch woanders führen. Suchen Sie eine andere Plattform und posten Sie ienen Link dorthin, dann kann mit Ihnen diskutieren wer will.

Sollten Sie jedoch Fragen oder nützliche Tips das Leben in Deutschland betreffend haben, sind Sie hier natürlich willkommen.

Ich hoffe auf Ihr Verständnis und wünsche ein schönes Wochenende.
Detlef
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/24/04 11:11 AM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
"India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta."

But unfortunately the Americans make the money with it (Microsoft and others).

By the way. Even the German inventor of the computer Prof. Dr. Konrad Zuse did loose the race against the Americans.

Invention is one thing. Business the other.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/24/04 6:00 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
I am a foreigner from the EU. Since a few weeks I am a German citizen. And I am a member of the employees' union.

I do not hate foreigners just because I am posting the following.

At least you admit that it is true what I wrote about Sonja Gandhi.

What a stupid discussion about who is better than someone else.

This means in the best of its sense, that we are all equal but in the worst of its sense that idiots you have everywhere.

Most of us are workers or employees. We have a wife and children. We need money to live.

No one should be proud for being cheaper than someone else.

No one should be proud to take someone else's job away because of cheapness.

We all can have no interest to work for an apple and an egg.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
7/25/04 1:26 PM as a reply to Srikanth Vakalapudi.
.... And yes 100 crore Indian population was ruled for a century by a British Empire whose population was merely 1 crore.
"Mera Bharat Mahan ..."
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18