Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Work permit/residence permit/etc help please

Toggle
Hi,

I looked around a bit, and perhaps more than a question I am looking for confirmation of what I think and clarification if necessary.

Situation: I'm American, with boyfriend in germany. I've been living in Germany 'under the radar' for over a year. I am currently in the US, on a 12-day vacation. I'm going back 'home' to Germany on the 14th.
I have a job interview there on the 15th.
(the long-term plan is for me and him to live there for 5 years, perhaps marry next year. He is German citizen).

Now, I found some info on this site
http://www.usembassy.de/services/e33_13.htm

Which makes the process sound relatively easy and painless.
My concern is
1. is it really that 'easy'?
2. Will I have problems since I'll be entering the country on a 'tourist' visa? and what can I do about that in this short time?

Thanks for any/all assistance.

ps. Ja, ich kann auch Deutsch verstehen ;)
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Work permit/residence permit/etc help please
Answer
9/14/04 10:10 PM as a reply to michelle k.
I'm a little skeptical of the information presented on that website you listed. From what I understand, going as a tourist to Germany does not include looking for work. From what I hear, the Bundesgrenzschutz will take a very dim view of anyone coming to look for work without already having a visa, and may turn them back.

The site lists these steps:
- Establish a local residence;
- Obtain a residence permit;
- Find a job;
- Obtain a work permit (the employer writes to the labor office (Arbeitsamt)) for this permit).

From what I hear and have experienced, the steps go like so:
- Get a job offer from a German company
- Get a residence visa
- Get a work permit with help of employer
- Establish local residence

(The last two can be reversed: only the visa is required to establish a residence)

You will definitely need a job offer to get a work permit, and it will help with obtaining a residence visa (Aufenthaltserlaubnis). I worked in Germany for a year, and I obtained an Aufenthaltserlaubnis before finding a job. However, I was already living there as a student, so it may have been easier because of that.

I just went and found a page from the German embassy in the United States confirming what I just said:
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/business/doing_business/foreigners.html

Go ahead and go back to Germany, but if they ask you at the border, you are there as a tourist going to see your boyfriend, which is quite true. Mentioning that you will be doing an interview while you are there will certainly result in trouble if you don't have a visa.

If you get a job, you will have to do the necessary paperwork as if you lived in the United States. The visa part will probably be done through the German embassy and the work permit part will probably be handled in Germany.

If you marry a German citizen, then you're on easy street. You'll be pretty much guaranteed a visa, and it will be much easier to get a work permit.

I hope that helps.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18