Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Stolen Laptop

Toggle
Stolen Laptop
Answer
9/7/09 10:01 PM
My brand new laptop was stolen, it was not insured, is there anyway to locate it? I have serial number and other details, including original packaging, any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Stolen Laptop
Answer
9/7/09 10:03 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
what an idiot...........go to Saturn buy a new one :-)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/8/09 2:17 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
Hi,

May be rohit2009's wish to locate is not all that dumb, if he knows the MAC numbers (Physical address) of the laptops' network cards, (similar to IMEI number of a handy.....) may be it can be located by special "cyber" methods by competent and authorized people if and when it is connected to internet.

kerwiss
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 12:30 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
Well... MAC numbers can be duplicated as well. And I don't think anyone would make a note of their MAC numbers. So I would suggest to move on and buy a new one :-)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 2:04 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
yes i do have MAC address, i saved it when making WLAN connection with router at home.

Here is the status of my quest, I spoke to the SONY people, and after getting serial number, police report and invoice of my laptop they have marked this laptop as stolen in their network, and as soon as they have an info they will tip the police.

most probably, if someone goes online, so fingers crossed.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 2:25 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
@rohit2009

very nice, i take my words back than :-)

keep us posted....Good luck dude!!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 2:43 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
Just forget that because MAC address is non-routable so its only visible in the logs of the firewall or the router to which the Laptop going to connect.It is not like IP address which the ISP can trace in the logs.
Do you think the police will go house to house or firms and check logs of routers and firewalls emoticonAlso these logs gets cleaned up frequently.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 2:58 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
even if MAC address gets transmitted somehow it depends on which adapter they use to connect. WLAN and the LAN adapters will have different MAC addresses. But anyway... you have done your part. I keep my fingers crossed for you.. Good luck
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 3:01 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
Take a look....

http://www.laptoptheft.org/
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/9/09 3:08 PM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
and ofcourse the guys who are selling this software :-)

http://www.absolute.com/de_DE/products/computrace-netbooks
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
9/10/09 4:41 AM as a reply to Rohit Kumar.
just check in ebay with the name of your laptop e.g apple, sony or etc may be you find it there.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott